[Solved] Why has one of my domains stopped working but the other is fine?

plantsandbinary

I run 2 domains from the same letsencrypt docker container. A Heimdall start page and a Ghost blog.

They are on different server blocks and I own both domains via same provider = Namecheap.

Both of them resolve to the same I.P. address, but for some reason only one of them is now working after restarting my machine.

My first site (Heimdall) loads fine, no problem at all. It was up again in mere minutes after restarting.

The second site (Ghost blog) does not load at all. It simply ends up timing out with "The page took too long to respond" error.

However, I can go to the site locally on my network at eg. 192.168.1.10:1234

What could have happened? Why is one of the server blocks working but the other is timing out and won't load?

I have pinged both domain urls, both of them resolve to the same I.P. (edit: oops no they don't, my bad) however the one that loads resolves with 1ms response time, the one that does not load resolves with about 23ms response time.

I also tried tracing them, here is the first one:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  *********-58c1e5-231.******.**.** [88.***.***.231]

Now here is the one that does not work:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  router.asus.com [192.168.1.1]
  2     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  3    28 ms    24 ms    29 ms  *********-58c02e-173.******.**.** [88.***.***.173]

Can anyone tell me what is going on? I´ve stopped the docker service, invoked the mover. Updated all my containers etc. there are no errors in my log. What's going on?

I just realised after checking the traceroute test more carefully that the I.P's are different and this is just a basic case of me having a new dynamic I.P. and I didn't notice because the addresses are so similar. It seems one updated automatically with DDNS and the other did not. So I changed it manually and voilá it works. Glad it was not something on the hardware end.

Archived