Apple File share timeouts

maverick.of.uc

I am trying to run a AFP share for time-machine; I have the share setup and it shows in timemachine and I can get 1 good backup in (sometimes) but its SUPER slow like less then 1MB/s over my lan network when I get about 85-120MB/s when using SMB so I know its not my network or hardware (yes the transfer speeds were tested on the same drives in the array) 

It will also disconnect my time-machine in the middle of transfers corrupting the backups. In /var/log/syslog I found these messages 

Sep 20 22:33:48 NAS afpd[2239]: transmit: Request to dbd daemon (volume tm_dps) timed out.

I found some posts on google saying if you are seeing timeouts like that you can try and rebuild the "CNID DB" but when I tried that command also timed out.

root@NAS:/mnt/user/tm_dps# dbd -f /mnt/user/tm_dps/
Sep 20 22:26:13.623871 dbd[2759] {cnid_dbd.c:414} (error:CNID): transmit: Request to dbd daemon (volume tm_dps) timed out.
Failed to wipe CNID db
root@NAS:/mnt/user/tm_dps# dbd -V
dbd 3.1.11

Here is my hardware and watching PS and top and iostats I do not see a bottleneck there that would lend me to it being a issue there. What other debug can I turn on or get that will help find the root cause?

root@NAS:~# lscpu
Architecture:        x86_64
CPU op-mode(s):      32-bit, 64-bit
Byte Order:          Little Endian
CPU(s):              32
On-line CPU(s) list: 0-31
Thread(s) per core:  2
Core(s) per socket:  8
Socket(s):           2
NUMA node(s):        2
Vendor ID:           GenuineIntel
CPU family:          6