MSI X399 Carbon and Threadripper

7 hours ago, gleech said:

I'm looking to get the MSI X399 Carbon, anybody here have a setup using the MSI Carbon?

Should I get it or go with Gigabyte Designare or Asrock Taichi. 

I went with the ASRock x399 Taichi, mainly because it came with 8 SATA ports on the motherboard.  I have an 8-port card, and that covers the 15 SATA ports that I needed (I have three of the 3x5 drive cages), plus one SATA port to spare.  With the latest BIOS (3.30) the IOMMU groupings break up nicely even without needing the ACS override.  I have had no problems with mine, FWIW.

I went for a ASRock X399 Fatal1ty Professional Gaming. Stupid name, i know but it's basically the same as the Taichi, 8 Sata Ports, 3 NVME. The difference is it has a 10gig nic onboard besides 2 gigabit nic's and a U.2 port. The basic IOMMU groupings without ACS override are fine for my use case. The only thing that's grouped together are the nics and the USB controllers. But you can split them up with the patch, no problem.

• Upvote 1
  • 4 months later...
On 9/29/2018 at 5:14 PM, bastl said:

I went for a ASRock X399 Fatal1ty Professional Gaming. Stupid name, i know but it's basically the same as the Taichi, 8 Sata Ports, 3 NVME. The difference is it has a 10gig nic onboard besides 2 gigabit nic's and a U.2 port. The basic IOMMU groupings without ACS override are fine for my use case. The only thing that's grouped together are the nics and the USB controllers. But you can split them up with the patch, no problem.

I'm tossing up between the Taichi and the Fatal1ty - how did you go with this? Is it worth the extra $120 just for onboard 10gig?

@nug Except of some issues in early 2018 which almost all TR4 users had, it's working fine since than. BIOS and kernel updates fixed a lot of stuff until today. When i bought it, a extra single 10G nic was around 100€ and i payed 90 more than for the Taichi. The ASUS ROG Zenith was the only other option in end of 2017 which came with 10G included with another 100-150€ on top of the price of the Fatal1ty. Everything is running fine for me so far. IOMMU grouping without ACS is ok. The only stuff thats grouped together are the network nics with the USB 3.1 controller and a sata controller all in one group. With ACS patch they all split into it's own groups and can be passed to a VM. The system is running stable at 4GHz with 2-3 VMs always running, 2 of them with it's own Nvidia cards passed through and a couple dockers. No crashes, only a couple "hickups" caused by me playing around with the Unraid RC versions and testing out new stuff.

• Like 1