SMB share name capitalization

devros

This is a very minor cosmetic problem, but one that has bugged me since starting to use unraid two years ago that I haven't been able to solve.  I have named my server eVault.  Usually, after my server boots up, I'll see my server listed in a finder window as eVault, but for some reason, after a while it changes to EVAULT.  Just curious if anyone here might have a solution.

It comes about because back in the days of MS DOS, all file names (and other system parameters) were case insensitive and there was a mask was used to make them all capitals.  In fact, that case insensitivity is STILL true today for Windows!  (Try (re)saving a file where you change just one of the characters to a capital to small letter or vice-verse. You will get a error message asking if you want to overwrite the original file.)

By the way, Linux is case sensitive and will allow two identical files names if there is a difference in capitalization.  I have no idea how SAMBA resolves this problem.   (I suspect that one of the files/resource will just disappear from the windows machines!  I know this happens when you have a share named media and other one named Media.)