New to Unraid Please Help :(

tier1kill

Hello all! I'm completely new to this all and wanted to build my own nas. I bought a relatively old hp proliant dl180, 3 sas drives from ebay and an LSI 9211-8i and flashed it to IT mode. Everything is plugged in and the drives show up if i go into the LSI Controller (ctrl - c). But, when i boot into Unraid it doesn't show me any of my drives :/. I also noticed that the all three of the drives flash green at a steady rate aswell as the lsi card, I don't know if that helps any? I'm running unraid 6.6.3 . I already tried searching this problem up here and on google and i can't seem to find a way to solve this .-. I also attached the tower diagnostics.

tower-diagnostics-20181026-1437.zip

Yea I dove into the diagnostics a bit and saw that line, I also found out that i could use sg3_utils to format the drive. I tried with a live Ubuntu usb and it didn't work out, i also don't know if i did it correctly. I am in the process of just trying out with centos since i found an article that uses that os. Hope this works :/

4 hours ago, tier1kill said:

I tried with a live Ubuntu usb and it didn't work out

Didn't work out because you couldn't get sg3_utils installed or because the format itself didn't work? If the latter it should be the same with any other OS, if the former you can use a FreeNAS boot flash drive, since it includes sg3_utils by default.

Also, if it's the command failing I remember an user on another forum having to add some flags to the command, he used this one successfully:

sg_format -v --format --fmtpinfo=0 --pfu=0 --size=512 --six /dev/sdX

If using FreeNAS or FreeBSD it would be:

sg_format -v --format --fmtpinfo=0 --pfu=0 --size=512 --six /dev/daX

I installed it on Ubuntu, it just didn't go through with the formatting process. I installed Cent OS on the usb drive and booted up to that, i tried the same command i did earlier, sg_format --format --size=512 /dev/sg0 and voila... i don't understand why it didn't work on Ubuntu. As of right now I am at 65 percent done of the format, so I hope this will work out. 

And thanks again for replying i will keep those commands safe because i have a mix of hard drives and if the command that i use doesn't work i'm sure these will end up working out.

Also quick question, is Sector Size the same thing as Allocation Unit Size as seen on windows format tool? 

Archived