create_parent - No space left on device

Noim

Hello Guys,

Recently I added a ssd cache to my configuration and backuped an old drive over network to my server. Of course, the cache disk got filled up, but the mover doesn't seems to work. It only spams this message into the system log: 

move: create_parent: /mnt/disk1/Backup error: No space left on device

But my array isn't full:

491845361_Bildschirmfoto2018-10-27um12_45_30.thumb.png.42c33a8645e37c3afa40eca5fd83ecd2.png

Only the cache disk is full. Already tried to fix my permissions with the "New Permission" tool. I attached my diagnostics file to this post. 

I hope you can help me to fix the problem. 

~ Nils

s3-diagnostics-20181027-0317.zip

You have set all of your shares to cache-yes, including some that are typically and by default set to cache-prefer. I am guessing you have done this in a random attempt to fix the full cache disk.

Not sure what the actual problem is though. Maybe your only array disk was made read-only at some point due to corruption. Your diagnostics seem to be missing the logs from when the problem started. Are there any syslog files in /var/log?

If this is your initial data load it might be simpler to start over and not cache anything until you get all the initial data loaded. Then you can take your time and try to understand some of the nuances of cache.

52 minutes ago, trurl said:

You have set all of your shares to cache-yes, including some that are typically and by default set to cache-prefer. I am guessing you have done this in a random attempt to fix the full cache disk.

Yes. An entry in another forum confused me about the settings, but "Yes" is what should fit the best my needs.

Maybe your only array disk was made read-only at some point due to corruption.

This would be weird.

Your diagnostics seem to be missing the logs from when the problem started. Are there any syslog files in /var/log?

Created a new zip archive with the content of /var/log

54 minutes ago, trurl said:

If this is your initial data load it might be simpler to start over and not cache anything until you get all the initial data loaded.

At least I want to try fixing it. It took forever to copy the files, and I don't really want to do it again. 

var.log.zip

The additional logs didn't really clear anything up, for me at least. Perhaps we are just misinterpreting the message and it is really just a full cache that is the root of your problems.

But why are you moving your appdata from cache to the array? Most people want it to remain on cache, but if you want it on the array despite the performance hit your dockers would take, then why not simply create it on the array to begin with? Either cache-prefer or cache-only, or if you really don't want it to stay on cache, then cache-no, would make more sense than cache-yes for appdata. And mover probably can't move open files, so if you have your dockers running when mover is trying to move appdata then things aren't going to work anyway.

If you don't want to start over with your Backup share, then maybe you could stop your dockers until you get your cache straightened out, then start over with your dockers. And cache-prefer is probably what you should want for appdata and the other system shares. Your cache is probably large enough for typical use, you just overfilled it for this initial use.

• 1 year later...

In case anyone else runs into this issue, I had a similar problem with move reporting "No space left on device" (although I was manually transferring from disk1 to cache).

The solution for me was to create the top level directory on the target drive (ie "mkdir /mnt/cache/Backup" for my example or "mkdir /mnt/disk1/Backup" for above example) first and it was happy afterwards.