Moving my movies folder?

bally12345

Hi Guys, 

Since upgrading my server and getting everything up and running, I am thinking of doing some house keeping and moving some folders about from usershares.

Currently my whole movie collection is in /mnt/user/Downloads/Movies/

Where as all my TV Shows are in /mnt/usr/Videos/TV Shows/

Everything is already mapped but would just look neater I guess if I had all the movies in /mnt/usr/Videos/Movies/ or even replace Videos to Media folder. Any tips on the fastest way to achieve this or am I just overthinking it. Also don't want to end up with duplicates or confuse Plex.

I guess /mnt/usr/Downloads/ should be for all downloads awaiting processing by CP or Sonarr.

There is a typo in your post that is repeated a few times. I wouldn't mention it except it is very important that you get this right when working with paths.

/mnt/user is where the user shares are mounted. /mnt/usr is not correct, nothing is mounted there, and if you specify that path anywhere you will create the path in RAM and anything stored there would be in RAM and so would not survive a reboot.

On to your question.

There are a number of ways to move files. I use the builtin Midnight Commander (mc at the command line). It is a textGUI that is very easy to work with and has plenty of documentation on the web.

Others prefer Krusader docker, which will give you a windowed file manager. And of course, there is the command line mv command.

You must never mix disks and user shares when moving or copying files, or you can lose the data if you specify a destination path that happens to get translated to the same path as the source by the user share system.

Plex won't be able to find the files if they are not where it expects them of course. I suspect there are ways to deal with that but I have never needed to. Maybe someone else will chime in.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, trurl said:

There is a typo in your post that is repeated a few times. I wouldn't mention it except it is very important that you get this right when working with paths.

/mnt/user is where the user shares are mounted. /mnt/usr is not correct, nothing is mounted there, and if you specify that path anywhere you will create the path in RAM and anything stored there would be in RAM and so would not survive a reboot.

On to your question.

There are a number of ways to move files. I use the builtin Midnight Commander (mc at the command line). It is a textGUI that is very easy to work with and has plenty of documentation on the web.

Others prefer Krusader docker, which will give you a windowed file manager. And of course, there is the command line mv command.

You must never mix disks and user shares when moving or copying files, or you can lose the data if you specify a destination path that happens to get translated to the same path as the source by the user share system.

Plex won't be able to find the files if they are not where it expects them of course. I suspect there are ways to deal with that but I have never needed to. Maybe someone else will chime in.

Yep big typo, dont know why I put /usr/ 

All my shares are /mnt/user/

I did see MC seems a nice simply way to get stuff, just get it all set correctly and hit F6, will look at Krusader too

Thanks for the input