SMB settings. I need help deciding.

jonF

Hi

How does one decide on the smb security settings. ?

I'm not a knowledgeable computer person.  Someone set up this unraid system for me. but i changed flash drives and need to reset those settings but I don't have a clue as to how they should be set. 
Thanks so much for your help.

Jon

Start by clicking on the 'Help' icon on the right side of the Tab strip just under the Banner of the GUI while the Share tab for one of your shares is open.   

With Security, you begin with the an assessment of of the types of risks that your system faces.  Are your normal clients trustworthy people?  Are you worried about computer literate folks that you allow on your LAN?  Do you allow 'Guest' access to your LAN via WiFi? (Not really a good idea but not many options with inexpensive (cheap) home routers!)  Are you more paranoid then laid-back?  Is anyone really interested in that data that you have on your server and why would they want access to it?  Do you have fifty IOT devices attached to your LAN (See comment on 'Guest' access)?

If it is external threats , you need to define what risks you fear?  Ransom-ware?  Viruses?  Phishing attacks?

You can also read here about assigning users names to your computers.  Read not only this post but the next several posts that follow.  You should also be aware that only one login account is 'allowed' from each computer.  (SMB has more gotchas than you can shake a stick at!)  

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/25064-user-share-problem/?tab=comments#comment-228392

Here is some approaches for securing data from Ransom-ware.  Ransom-Ware will work across your network from a client to any share that that client has write-access to. So even if the share is 'Private', if the client has write access you are in danger!  Plus, Windows can automatically log a client on.  

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/58374-secure-writing-strategy-for-unraid-server-using-write-once-read-many-mode/#comment-572532

OH!!!  The first thing you should all ready have done is to assign a password to your root account (for the GUI and SSH access) that is at least eight characters long and difficult to guess.  

Archived