Video Card question ( nvidia and AMD in the same machine)

Shaank0

So i am totally new to unRAID for the most part, i have watched plenty of youtube on it and it seems very interesting. Well its 1am here my brains fried, im about to pull the trigger on a 1950x threadripper build for unraid, and id like to do a hackintosh VM with GPU passthrough on it. Watching Spaceinvader one video he mentioned Nvidia drivers not being out which i believe is still the case for mojave. that being said im wondering what would happen if i had both a Nvidia GTX 1060 in the system (for gaming) and a AMD card for the Hackintosh VM. Would it work, it seems like there would be issues with 2 different GPUs. 

Also how fast/easy is it to switch the VM for GPU Passthrough, lets say i want to switch between a bunch of VM's for whatever reason.

2 hours ago, Shaank0 said:

anyone?

Since you seem to need an answer urgently and no one more knowledgeable has replied, here's my opinion. Dissimilar video cards can happily co-exist, provided the VMs to which you're passing them have the necessary driver. So choose an AMD card that macOS natively supports and use the GTX 1060 with Windows. Any potential complications would be down to the fact that you don't have any graphics output from Unraid itself (consider using a third, low cost card for that) and to the possibility of not having nice neat IOMMU groups.

You can only pass through a given piece of hardware to one VM at a time so to switch between multiple VMs you first have to stop the one that's currently using it and then start the one you now want to use. If you want to run more than two VMs at any one time you'll need to use VNC for the additional ones. Some cards seem not to reset properly when the VM is stopped. It would be worth researching that before spending money.

7 hours ago, John_M said:

Since you seem to need an answer urgently and no one more knowledgeable has replied, here's my opinion. Dissimilar video cards can happily co-exist, provided the VMs to which you're passing them have the necessary driver. So choose an AMD card that macOS natively supports and use the GTX 1060 with Windows. Any potential complications would be down to the fact that you don't have any graphics output from Unraid itself (consider using a third, low cost card for that) and to the possibility of not having nice neat IOMMU groups.

You can only pass through a given piece of hardware to one VM at a time so to switch between multiple VMs you first have to stop the one that's currently using it and then start the one you now want to use. If you want to run more than two VMs at any one time you'll need to use VNC for the additional ones. Some cards seem not to reset properly when the VM is stopped. It would be worth researching that before spending money.

Thanks for the reply, my finger is itching to push the order button at amazon for my first unraid build.