Consolidating machines

Hello all

I'm thinking of joining all the below computers into one unRAID box virtualising the Mac (when working and general use) and PC (gaming and general use). bringing in the storage from the HP microserver (or buying more and selling server) and adding a plex docker (2 users max).

Workstation Mac: i7 3.1Ghz 27 inch iMac circa 2011 | 32Gb RAM | 2Gb Radeon Graphics | 256 SSD | 1Tb HD

Workstation PC Win 10: Xeon E31225 @3.1Ghz 4 core | 8Gb RAM | Nvidea Quadro 600 | 480Gb SSD | 500Gb Raid 1 | HP 24" monitor

Plex Server: i5-3470 3.2Ghz 4 core (6698 Passmark so good for 3 users) | 8Gb RAM | 160Gb SSD

File server: HP Microserver gen 8 | Celeron 1610T 2 core 2.3GHz | 4Gb ECC RAM | Onboard Graphics | 120Gb Cache | 3x 3Tb WD Red | Dual gigabit

I've some spare hardware worth mentioning so would really only need a case/motherboard/CPU (he says Cooler/M.2/NIC/etc).
SSDs a few 120Gb, 240Gb & 480Gb Crucial SSD Plus. Can use this to virtualise/cache
Power: EVGA 1000 GQ, 750 GQ & 600 W1
Graphics: NVIDEA 1070 8Gb & AMD RX480 8GB Black

I could possibly leave the Plex server alone if the processor starts to look too expensive.

At a start i was thinking an i7-8700K a Z370 chipset MB of some sort and a Corsair R5 case. Due to the MacOS virtualising i was going to steer clear of Ryzen.

I'm fairly new to all this so any help/recs would be greatly received.

Basically i want to use a Mac/Pc from one box and figure virtualising from unRAID would be the way to go. I wouldnt mind messing with some other dockers etc so some extra cores would help there (currently have 1x spare on the HP).

Would ECC Ram be worthwhile? (so no i7 i guess)

Hope that makes sense.

If you want an i7-8700 with ECC and less power draw, check out the Xeon E-2176G.  It is basically a re-badged 8700 with ECC left enabled and running at a lower power draw for the same performance.  About the same cost, but does require a C246 MB.  Check out my thread in the MB/CPU forum for some good information about it.

If you don't care about transcoding, there is a new set of Xeon's coming early next year without iGPU but adding 2 cores...so would actually be better than the 8700 :)

Edited by Tybio