(Solved)Device is disabled, contents emulated - Diagnosing Drive

J0my

Hello, I recently got the "Device is disabled, contents emulated" error message on one of my drives Disc 1 and being new to Unraid and just NAS in general am trying to work through how to go about diagnosing so I know if I need to RMA the drive or the fault was elsewhere (like the FAQ says could be the cables, or other hardware induced faults). I had to update the system to the new 6.6.6 version and ofc stupidly rebooted the system before getting the diagnostics or SMART report, however it is likely they are still needed regardless so I have attached them.

Any help on what course of action I should be taking to get this all rolling and started would be a great help, I do not currently have another drive on hand to just swap in and rebuild in the meantime.

tower-smart-20181205-1209.zip

tower-diagnostics-20181205-1210.zip

Unfortunately diags are after rebooting, so we can't see what happened, disk looks fine, there are a few CRC errors that could point to a bad cable, but you're also using a Marvell controller that uses the same driver as the problematic SASLP/SAS2LP, if the emulated disk is mounting correctly I would suggest replacing the SATA cable and rebuilding to the same disk (or use a spare if you have one to play it safer), if more issues especially on different disks it could be the HBA, and if it happens again don't forget to grab the diags before rebooting.

Thanks for getting back to me, I will do as you mentioned and try one of the different cables, I bought a new case for the nas so it is as good as any time now to do it all at once and rebuild like you mentioned. I will indeed keep an closer eye on the drives to see if any others have the same happen to them, if it is however the controller, is there perhaps a standard go to one that you could recommend?

I will also update once I have tried your suggested solutions.

Archived