Dell Server Fans very loud

Obelixix

Hello all,

I have been using unraid for only about 5 months. I was able to get a server to use that is way more powerful than the current PC I am using. The new server is a Dell PowerEdge R515. Dual Opteron 4133 processors, 64GB memory and now 4x2tb drives.

So I removed the PERC H700 raid controller and bought a H200 which I have flashed to IT mode. I am able to boot from the thumb drive, see all the drives properly and everything runs quite smoothly. My only issue is that the fans are running constantly at a high rpm which is causing a lot of noise in my little office.

I've been googling for the last 5 hours or so and have tried a couple things (currently trying to update IDRAC and BIOS to see if that makes a difference, but I somehow doubt it will. I tried using the IPMI plugin, but it wont pull any values from the IDRAC and I don't know enough about it to actually get it working properly. 

My drives are a nice cool 24 degrees, but I'm going crazy with all this noise. Anyone have any good suggestions to help me?

Thanks!

You could buy some fans that make less noise.   Noctua is one manufacturer of quiet fans.  For example, have a look at the Noctua NF-F12 PWM which is a bit noisier than some of their offerings but it can maintain a higher air volume when the static pressure increases.  Undoubtably, there are several other manufacturers who make similar fans.  

Thanks Frank1940, that is something I will definitely be looking at for the future although from what I have read it is going to be fun to replace the fans in this beast.

I was actually able to find a solution to my issue. I was randomly reading through issues and came across someone who mentioned having to move the raid card to a different slot. I figured what the heck, why not. So I moved the card from the top slot to the bottom and booted to a beautifully silent computer. I had figured removing the card from Dell's propitiatory raid slot to a different one could be the issue, but hadn't thought of trying the different slots. So yea, everything appears to be working again. Thanks for the time.

Archived