ATA errors when adding new drive

Vortec

Unraid 6.6.6

Working great for 9 months with 4x 3tb toshiba 7200s and 1 250ssd 

Just had a drive fail. Bought 2 new WD Red 4tbs.

Replaced bad drive with new 4tb Red, I am trying to do a parity swap.

I noticed that the parity swap was taking a very long time to progress (1% every 10 hours.) waited about 24-30 hours until shutting the system down. (yes I know don't do this i'm stupid but I pulled files that I needed)

I assumed the drive was bad, downloaded preclear and tried running that. Got very similar results. 1% every 6-10 hours. Replaced the new WD Red with the other, again same results.

I have also changed the physical drive locations to see if that made any difference, it did actually take longer for these errors to start.

I checked the logs. I am getting "ata.3.00: Exeption Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x0" constantly to the point that it completely fills my "flash log docker" within 5 to 10 Minutes.

Can anyone tell me if my sata controller is dying or what exactly is dead or dying? Or if there is any way I can resolve this? 

Very well could be user error as I am the kind to break stuff in the most unpredictable way possible.

If there is anything else I can tell you or do to help you guys let me know. 

You guys are great.

datto-diagnostics-20181226-1953.zip

14 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

Replace both cables and/or use a different SATA port (swap with another disk if needed)

I tried both. I also figured it out. 

The way the caddy was holding the drive in place was not properly seating into the drive backplane. 

I used tape to hold the drive in the caddy a bit farther than screws were. It has been solid for 24 hours now.

Thanks again for your help.

Archived