66TB and %77 used

Never thought I'd be looking for another mechanical hard drive at this time. A whopping 66TB system and %77 is used up. Wow how media takes up space. Could never switch out to SSD with that much terabytes so I'm looking for an 8TB internal drive. I usually just grab the HGST 8TB NAS drives, but I do see users shucking the external drives. Almost irks me to buy anything other than an HGST. Been down the road with Western Digital Black drives, which have ALL died and been replaced. I have a pile of Seagate drives at work which came out of Dell machines, never lasted a year. Wouldn't buy a blue at any cost and have no idea about the reds. What would you recommend? Here is a Seagate Barracuda for $166 brand new. I'm almost ready to hit the BUY button, since the HGST 8TB drives are $235. Last thing I need is just another Seagate failing on me at home in my UNRAID box. Think I should go for the Seagate Barracuda? It is on the cheap, really cheap which is what hesitates me. 

UnraiddriveList.jpg

I like you have/had all HGST drives and started the shucking route with Seagates and WD. I have had one bad drive from WD and 2 from Seagate. For the price I bought the drives and the failure of them, I felt I got a good deal. Most of the 8TB drives were purchased for under 150. I shucked them and formatted to XFS, then ran drive rebuild. Now I have most of the 8TB drives for almost a year without a problem. Server is running cooler, parity check are taking less time. I am happy with the shucked drives.

The 8TB seagates run a tad warmer than the WD drives, but all are 5400rpm drives. Just thought I would throw that out there.

array.jpg

On 12/31/2018 at 7:16 AM, Harro said:

I like you have/had all HGST drives and started the shucking route with Seagates and WD. I have had one bad drive from WD and 2 from Seagate. For the price I bought the drives and the failure of them, I felt I got a good deal. Most of the 8TB drives were purchased for under 150. I shucked them and formatted to XFS, then ran drive rebuild. Now I have most of the 8TB drives for almost a year without a problem. Server is running cooler, parity check are taking less time. I am happy with the shucked drives.

The 8TB seagates run a tad warmer than the WD drives, but all are 5400rpm drives. Just thought I would throw that out there.

array.jpg

I did order the HGST drive from Ebay brand new for $165. 8TB. I have to log in there and see where the heck it is. Been a nightmare receiving packages because of these two holidays being at the beginning of the week. USPS is SLOW as heck and has like a 2-3 day delay. I'll drop a USPS priority off lets say last week on Wednesday and it won't indicate anything on tracking until Friday. A whole 2 days late or behind.