parity copy

Hello All, I want to replace my 4Tb parity drive with a 10tb drive.  I have seen reference to a "parity copy procedure" on reddit but can't find it in the wikki.  Can someone please point me to this parity copy procedure as i want to do it this way rather than a parity rebuild onto the new disk.

thanks.

There is no such process.    You will need to build new parity.

it would be a good idea before you start to have done a parity check with the existing drive (which should show 0 errors) before you start.    You then keep that drive intact while building the new parity drive as that will give you a fall-back option if an array drive fails while building the new parity.

That is not doing a "Parity Copy".   What it is doing is building a second parity disk (as Parity2); changing Parity1 to a new drive;  building new parity on parity1;  removing parity2 to get back to a single parity drive.   The idea is that at all stages one has at least one valid parity drive thus protecting against a single drive failure.   It does require you to have a spare unused SATA slot and takes as long as two parity builds so is more time consuming.

The other possibility for confusion is the "Parity Swap" procedure where you simultaneously upgrade parity to a larger drive, and then use the old drive as a replacement data drive.     When doing this the first phase copies the old parity information onto the new parity drive and the second phase rebuilds the data drive onto the old parity disk.

I'm referring only to nogami's suggested solution which sounds like he somehow performed just a copy of the parity drive to a new parity drive.

"There’s a parity copy procedure on the wiki to transfer parity data to a new drive. It’s faster than recalculating all of your parity and less workload on your system. Very easy. Worked well when I upgraded my parity to 8TB."

34 minutes ago, crizz11 said:

"There’s a parity copy procedure on the wiki to transfer parity data to a new drive. It’s faster than recalculating all of your parity and less workload on your system. Very easy. Worked well when I upgraded my parity to 8TB."

Like mentioned by itimpi this doesn't exist.