New Unraid Server Build Questions

I am building a new Unraid server and have some questions.  First my usage case: I plan to run several VMs (Linux and Win 10) and maybe docker.  I also plan to setup booting Linux and Windows to bare metal.  So on boot I'll choose between Unraid, Linux, and Win 10 with Unraid the default.  The plan is to usually run the bare metal Linux and Win 10 in VMs.  Here is my question.

1)  Should I set the BIOS to UEFI for booting?  If I don't use UEFI does that gain protection from UEFI root viruses?  Pros and cons?

2)  Should I use the heat sink compound that is on the AMD heat sink fan assembly (2700X)?  I have Noctua NT-H1 I could use.  I don't plan to overclock (OC) the CPU.  I hope to OC the memory; the memory is 3200 and I hope to push it to 3466.).  3466 is supported by the motherboard, not sure of the CPU.  Pro and cons?

Any suggestions or recommendations are welcomed.

Just a comment on your multi-boot options.  Unraid is designed to boot from the USB stick and not from a HDD/SSD.     This might make it difficult to set up your multi-boot options.   I think it should be possible but it might take a bit of fiddling to get the Unraid boot set up correctly in such an environment.   If you do get it set up it would be useful if you documented what needed doing to help any others who might be trying to do the same thing.

8 hours ago, itimpi said:

Just a comment on your multi-boot options.  Unraid is designed to boot from the USB stick and not from a HDD/SSD.     This might make it difficult to set up your multi-boot options.   I think it should be possible but it might take a bit of fiddling to get the Unraid boot set up correctly in such an environment.   If you do get it set up it would be useful if you documented what needed doing to help any others who might be trying to do the same thing.

After some research I'll be using UEFI to boot.  I'll post the links in a few minutes.  I believe with UEFI I can select at boot time which drive to boot.  If not I think I can use GRUB on one of the physical drives and I think GRUB will find the USB drive, not sure about that one.  I would rather use UEFI for the higher security.

8 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

Various user with Ryzen CPUs and overclocked RAM have issues with parity sync errors, i.e. data corruption, you should limit RAM speeds to the ones officially supported:

488153360_2ndgen.jpg.d1f01fbd832fcfaad3bb1b57cbbedae2.jpg

My plan is to overclock the infinity fabric and not the RAM itself.  I'll do this by increasing the latency to compensate for the higher clock speed so the RAM will effectively still be running at 3200 while the Infinity Fabric in the CPU will be running at the higher speed, 3466.  I'll run a 24 hour memory test to see if it is stable.  If not then I'll just back down the clock speed and adjust latency timings to normal.  Hopefully the RAM will not care about the OC with longer latency and the Infinity Fabric in the CPU will tolerate the higher clock speed.  The RAM is verified to work on the motherboard by the manufacturer, Asrock.  So if nothing else I'll get 2933 in the end.

9 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

That might not matter, some other Ryzen users didn't find any errors with Memtest but still had sync errors, e.g.:

I read through the thread and see three factors that could be the cause of the problem.

1. The CPU was likely not pleased with the RAM OC.  It was a first gen Ryzen.

2. The RAM latency settings are unknown.  Maybe they were not stock?

3. The MSI motherboards are not known as a great motherboard.

I am leaning toward CPU or motherboard for the cause of the problem which should not be unexpected.  The communication between CPUs on the die is likely not tested with Memtest running.  I think Memtest would have caught a flaky motherboard so my best guess is the CPU.  I have an unproven thought in my head that there is a bottleneck in the Infinity Fabric on the CPU die which is why the 1700X can post higher FPS in some games than the 2700X with more cores even though the 2700X has a slightly higher CPU clock speed.  If I remember correctly the test I saw was on the same motherboard and RAM with only the CPU being swapped.  I know other users are running the 2700X at 3200 memory clock without CPU OC without known problems.

I have similar RAM (perhaps not as good, although the RAM is certified by Asrock to work) with a second gen Ryzen and on, in my opinion a much better motherboard.  I'll give it a go and see what happens.  I am fine if I have to clock at stock speed.

Thank you for the reply, I learned something new about Ryzen and parity errors that I wouldn't have thought of.  If it happens to me I'll know what to check for.

Well, I got lucky (NOT) and hit the jackpot with a bad memory module.  The test failed even at 2133 which is way below 2933 the supported speed.  Memtest86+, test 8, about 45% into the test every time.  After a day of trying to get it to work I threw in the towel and will send the memory back tomorrow.  I'll replace it with G.Skill, the ones that end with an 'X' in the model number are supposed to be special just for AMD.  I'll see, my cost is 280 € for 32 GB, 3200.  If they just work at this point I'll gladly spend the extra money.

I should add there is always a slight chance it is the CPU.

• 2 weeks later...