Docker app fails to start "you should install it by itself to fix the errors"

ast

I'm trying to install Plex for the first time using the "community applications" plugin, but it doesn't work. I have spent hours searching, but couldn't solve it. Might be something silly as I'm just trying Unraid for the first time.

Getting the following output in the installation pop-up:

Starting PlexMediaServer
PlexMediaServer failed to start. You should install it by itself to fix the errors
Error response from daemon: No such container: PlexMediaServer
Error: failed to start containers: PlexMediaServer
Setting installed applications to autostart
Docker Application Installation finished.

Nothing shows up in the Docker tab.

What does it mean to "install it by itself to fix the errors"?

I'm using Unraid version 6.6.6. Docker is enabled in settings. Same thing happens with an alternative Plex docker image I tried installing as well.

Thanks for your help!

2019-02-11-22:03:54-select.png

Theres 2 ways to install apps from the previous apps section.   The easiest is that you just check off what you want and hit install and it does its thing.   Downside is that if there is a fatal flaw in the template then due to a technical limitation I can see what the error actually is.  Only that an error occurred.  Rare that this happens though

This is what's happening  you need to go to previous apps, hit the download icon next to plex, and when you hit apply you will see the docker run command which will show you what the problem is

Edited by Squid

you need to go to previous apps, hit the download icon next to plex, and when you hit apply you will see the docker run command which will show you what the problem is

Just tried it this way and  here's the error:

Pulling image: plexinc/pms-docker:latest

IMAGE ID [latest]: Pulling from plexinc/pms-docker.
IMAGE ID [b849b56b69e7]: Pulling fs layer. Downloading 100% of 41 MB. Verifying Checksum. Download complete. Extracting.
IMAGE ID [42986ef25bcd]: Pulling fs layer. Downloading 100% of 845 B. Verifying Checksum. Download complete.
IMAGE ID [d927c1b717ec]: Pulling fs layer. Downloading 100% of 528 B. Verifying Checksum. Download complete.
IMAGE ID [15b86ea20233]: Pulling fs layer. Downloading 100% of 170 B. Verifying Checksum. Download complete.
IMAGE ID [f39465de3b1a]: Pulling fs layer. Downloading 100% of 22 MB. Verifying Checksum. Download complete.
IMAGE ID [dec716eaf178]: Pulling fs layer. Downloading 100% of 3 KB. Verifying Checksum. Download complete.
IMAGE ID [1691bdb34def]: Pulling fs layer. Downloading 100% of 102 MB. Retrying in 5 seconds. Retrying in 4 seconds. Retrying in 3 seconds. Retrying in 2 seconds. Retrying in 1 second. Downloading 100% of 29 MB. Retrying in 10 seconds. Retrying in 9 seconds. Retrying in 8 seconds. Retrying in 7 seconds. Retrying in 6 seconds. Retrying in 5 seconds. Retrying in 4 seconds. Retrying in 3 seconds. Retrying in 2 seconds. Retrying in 1 second. Downloading 100% of 20 MB. Verifying Checksum. Download complete.

TOTAL DATA PULLED: 83 MB

Error: failed to register layer: ApplyLayer exit status 1 stdout: stderr: archive/tar: invalid tar header

Tried googling it, but don't see anything relevant.

So I noticed that the TOTAL DATA PULLED line doesn't match the previous log. I re-ran the installation a bunch of times until it was correct, and the error went away:

IMAGE ID [latest]: Pulling from plexinc/pms-docker.
IMAGE ID [b849b56b69e7]: Pulling fs layer. Downloading 100% of 41 MB. Verifying Checksum. Download complete. Extracting. Pull complete.
IMAGE ID [42986ef25bcd]: Pulling fs layer. Downloading 100% of 845 B. Verifying Checksum. Download complete. Extracting. Pull complete.
IMAGE ID [d927c1b717ec]: Pulling fs layer. Downloading 100% of 528 B. Download complete. Extracting. Pull complete.
IMAGE ID [15b86ea20233]: Pulling fs layer. Downloading 100% of 170 B. Verifying Checksum. Download complete. Extracting. Pull complete.
IMAGE ID [f39465de3b1a]: Pulling fs layer. Downloading 100% of 22 MB. Verifying Checksum. Download complete. Extracting. Pull complete.
IMAGE ID [dec716eaf178]: Pulling fs layer. Downloading 100% of 3 KB. Verifying Checksum. Download complete. Extracting. Pull complete.
IMAGE ID [1691bdb34def]: Pulling fs layer. Downloading 100% of 102 MB. Retrying in 5 seconds. Retrying in 4 seconds. Retrying in 3 seconds. Retrying in 2 seconds. Retrying in 1 second. Downloading 100% of 97 MB. Retrying in 10 seconds. Retrying in 9 seconds. Retrying in 8 seconds. Retrying in 7 seconds. Retrying in 6 seconds. Retrying in 5 seconds. Retrying in 4 seconds. Retrying in 3 seconds. Retrying in 2 seconds. Retrying in 1 second. Downloading 100% of 80 MB. Retrying in 15 seconds. Retrying in 14 seconds. Retrying in 13 seconds. Retrying in 12 seconds. Retrying in 11 seconds. Retrying in 10 seconds. Retrying in 9 seconds. Retrying in 8 seconds. Retrying in 7 seconds. Retrying in 6 seconds. Retrying in 5 seconds. Retrying in 4 seconds. Retrying in 3 seconds. Retrying in 2 seconds. Retrying in 1 second. Downloading 100% of 74 MB. Retrying in 20 seconds. Retrying in 19 seconds. Retrying in 18 seconds. Retrying in 17 seconds. Retrying in 16 seconds. Retrying in 15 seconds. Retrying in 14 seconds. Retrying in 13 seconds. Retrying in 12 seconds. Retrying in 11 seconds. Retrying in 10 seconds. Retrying in 9 seconds. Retrying in 8 seconds. Retrying in 7 seconds. Retrying in 6 seconds. Retrying in 5 seconds. Retrying in 4 seconds. Retrying in 3 seconds. Retrying in 2 seconds. Retrying in 1 second. Downloading 100% of 678 KB. Verifying Checksum. Download complete. Extracting.

TOTAL DATA PULLED: 166 MB

But still nothing got installed.

Edit: Actually no, this one was just a glitch. The "invalid tar header" error pops up every time, even when the TOTAL DATA PULLED is correct and there are no "retrying" logs.

I've probably tried it about a hundred times already, but the error is the same.

Edited by ast