Supermicro X9SCM /w M.2 SSD?

jowi

I've been using a 250GB SATA SSD for some time now, and now i'm upgrading my UNRAID server with a Xeon CPU (in stead of an core-i3) and 16GB in stead of 4GB memory, so i can run some VM's as well. Now i do i want to get a bigger SSD/cache drive to run the VM's (and dockers etc) from, so i was thinking of getting a 1TB SSD.

I understand that the M.2 interface is the way to go these days, so i was thinking of getting an M.2 SSD, using a PCIe to M.2 adapter, since the X9SCM doesn't have M.2 slots on the motherboard natively.

Has anyone used this in a X9SCM? Will it work without any problems? I don't have to boot from it, it is just ment as SSD/cache in UNRAID.

• 3 years later...
On 3/4/2019 at 9:37 AM, jowi said:

Thanks! I know these serverboards can be picky regarding memory, cpu's etc. so it's good to know this shouldn't be a problem, before i order it :)

What did you end up doing? I have an X9SCM-F with a Xeon E3-1240v2 and 24gb of ddr3 ecc dram - and my idea was to use one x8 gen3 lane for an asus hyper (4 nvme drives - but planning to use to to add two drives given them full gen3 x4 speeds - since theyre actually gen4 drives and would perform at twice the cap of gen3 i would not want to add any more drives, but i also need to add an HBA card in one of the gen2 x4 slots to get sata3 speeds for my sata drives - so i could potentially add two asus hyper m2 cards for a total of 4 nvme drives if i wanted - or perhaps a graphic card to deal with plex transcoding in one (this is the most likely for me - assuming x4 gen2 will be enough speeds for 8-10 mechanical drives, of course theres a 4th slot which is also x4 gen2 so if it would become too slow with just one HBA card - there is space for another and stilll keep a GPU & two nvme drivess... This is of course all assuming that the board allows bifurication, so thats why i am asking how you managed it!

I appreciate any help and recommendations, thank you