Solved - Migrate unRAID Array to Different Licence

Some time ago I was given exclusive use of an unRAID Server Plus version: 5.0.6 installation including the licensed USB key.  Over time, I have added 3 more hard drives and a lot of data (well - 7Tb is a lot to me!)

I would now like to upgrade to the latest version of unRAID 6 but I would like to do it with my own name and account and not the donated one 

I know that lime technology will not transfer an account under any circumstances whatsoever but I do not fancy backing up nearly 12Tb of data to install on a new array.

So, basically, my question is:

Is it possible to upgrade my "donated" account to unRAID 6 using a trial installation and then replace the "donated" USB thumb drive with a brand new one containing a paid for unRAID 6 account in my own name?   And (most importantly), if so will I still have full access to all the shares and files on the existing unRAID array?

Edited by QuietMike
Solved

And another possibility. Since you don't have a lot of data you really don't need a lot of disks, just maybe some larger ones. One of the great features of Unraid is the ability to use different sized disks, so you can very easily just replace one or more of your smaller disks with larger ones and get more capacity that way.

In fact, I usually recommend fewer larger disks instead of more smaller disks. Larger disks are more cost effective (more bytes/dollar). Larger disks often perform somewhat better than smaller disks due to increased density. And fewer disk means fewer opportunities for problems.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks, trurl, for the wealth of useful information you have kindly provided to me.  What you have had to say is exactly what I wanted to hear regarding transfer of data to a new array.

I understand your advice concerning larger disks but my hardware is old and does not apparently support disks larger than 3Tb.  Additionally, my means are limited and my reason for affording the upgrade to version 6 is for the extra facilities on offer rather than to address further data.  Thank you though :-).

Hmmm!  Yes - I hadn't thought of that 😞  (It is an HP Microserver N40L).  I suppose my best bet would be to take advantage of the 30 day trial with a couple of old 250Mb disks and if it all works out, then start the upgrade process with my 12Tb array ............................................

Just remember you don’t have to start over with your Data like like mentioned above. 

Basically if your getting a new stick to avoid license issues. Copy the Config folder from your old stick to your new stick and contacting Limetech for your new license and your good to go. Well that and any other little things you might want to do. Boot and your off and running.