Is AMD actually green becouse of C-states?

Hello,

I'm going out of space on my synology, and my unraid is being used just as Plex (using synology as repository), PiHole,... and I have been thinking about upgrade to a new system to get an Unraid with VM gaming rig.

I'm wondering about that near random problems about cstates on Ryzen that at my understanding have also the function to idle CPUs reducing the power consumption. Becouse I need a green solution (in my country electricity is not expensive at all but don't whant to waste electricity) if Ryzen are not able actually to idle correctly and evade that crash on some people I will have to go with intel 9900K... I thought mabout Ryzen 3x00 but then problem should persist becouse as far as I understood is an Unraid software problem not being enough compatible.

I'm thinking about this build.

Unraid Build

Main function Plex, PiHole,...

Secondary function Windows 10 Gaming VM with my 1080ti, and Oculus compatible (lots of USB3... will need PCIE extra controller)

SSD for cache for Gaming VM

Storage without parity. A raid solution like unraid or raid5 is not a backup, just a protection, so will use my Synology as a Backup system of the data on Unraid (more expensive I know)

If Ryzen then will need an extra GPU that could be a GT1050 for Plex transcoding thx to actual docker gpu passtrough

If Intel then nothing extra

Synology DS1517+

Actually 4 x 6TB on SHR for personal data, movies,...

Any help will be apreciated.

52 minutes ago, Kurkoko said:

Storage without parity. A raid solution like unraid or raid5 is not a backup, just a protection, so will use my Synology as a Backup system of the data on Unraid

You are exactly correct, however, running parity makes it very convenient when you have the inevitable drive failure. The downside is write speed slowdown, and an extra drive. Personally, I'd much rather swap a drive and let parity rebuilt it than restore from backup. The data is still available the entire time if a disk fails and you replace it.

Parity gives you high(er) availability, not backup, as you noted.

As far as energy and compatibility, I prefer intel.

I think I will have to go Intel by the moment. Wanted to wait por Ryzen 3x00 series but without cstates working I cannot go green enough.

I'm thinking about that with intel, won't be using an auxiliar PCIE GPU for plex transcode. Integrated intel GPU works perfect for me, just have a maximum of 3 transcodes at the same moment and also no 4k transcoding solution is needed by the moment. This way evades the 5-10W idle for that PCIE GPU.

Ryzen 2700X + gtx1550 cost nearly the same as a 9900K where I'm from. Loosing a PCIE expansion with ryzen way also.

The intention with new unraid build is also as said a posible win10 VM gaming rig, if not the 9900K would be so overkill.

Now I'm strugling myself to find the right motherboard. Seen some Intel Z390 from Asrock with dual gb lan and a 10gb. The 10gb nic i found is compatible since unraid 6.4.X.