Sync Qnap to unRaid over internet

Hello,

I finally have my first unRaid server running and already replaced one older Qnap, I now want t o replace the other one  I have. I have 3 Qnaps in my family spread out in 2 countries and they are currently replicating over the internet via Hybrid Backup (their tool, essentially uses rsync I think) but I now need to find out if it is possible (and how) to sync the other 3 Qnaps over the internet to my unRaid Server. Does anyone know how this can be done? I'm having a hard time figuring this out and finding useful information.

I read that unRaid already includes rsync, but how do you use it? How do you execute commands?

If I have another Qnap on the outside and I execute an rsync command on it, don't I need an rsync server/docker/deamon running on my unRaid that listens to these incomming requests?

Or, easier yet if possible, do you know of a synchronisation tool that I could install on a Qnap and on unRaid and  after some configuration they sync between each other?

Many thanks!

• 5 months later...
On 5/1/2019 at 8:45 PM, Odom said:

If I have another Qnap on the outside and I execute an rsync command on it, don't I need an rsync server/docker/deamon running on my unRaid that listens to these incomming requests?

Or, easier yet if possible, do you know of a synchronisation tool that I could install on a Qnap and on unRaid and  after some configuration they sync between each other?

Many thanks!

How did you end up going with this?

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/17/2019 at 9:32 PM, JT24 said:

How did you end up going with this?

On 10/18/2019 at 9:28 PM, jordanmw said:

Also curious what you are doing for this- have you tried using RRTR?

Sorry for the late reply. I ended up using Syncthing to synchronise the data. Qnap has an alternate inofficial appstore aclled Qnapclub (https://www.qnapclub.eu/en). They have instructions on their website on how to add it to your Qnap Apps app. From there you can install Syncthing.

I did run into an issue though, Syncthing apparently doesn't work on Atom CPUs. Both my aprents and brother's Qnaps have a Celeron CPU and there I can install Syncthing. My parents-in-law have one with an Atom CPU and I can't get it installed there.

I used Spaceinvader One's video on how to configure Syncthing, as the tool wasn't straightforward to me.

• Like 1