Migrating from proxmox

Hello everybody,

I'm considering moving to unraid.

Until now my system is built with  a cluster of 2 proxmox hosts running vm and lxc containers. I have also 2 vm dedicated to docker.

Because i'm runnning out of ressources (my hosts are low mem and low cpu) and i'm wanting to simplify maintenance i'm wondering if unraid could help me.

Vm and lxc (and docker) are running from ssd. I have a small mirror of spinning disk for data of vm and containers.

The voluminous data are on a synology nas (DS1815+ with R+W cache on ssd). It's mainly personnal data (photos, docs,...), media data (music, films, tv show) and backup of vm and lxc. I also have an old qnap TS639 for backing up the synology and vms.

The services i actually run are:

- dnsmasq on lxc (dhcp and dns for my network)

- unifi controller on lxc

- tvheadend on lxc with 3 dvbT passed trough

- wazo ipbx on a debian vm

- jeedom (smarthome controlller) on a debian vm

- squid+squidguard on a vm

- a librenms lxc (but i'm considering moving to a tig stack on docker)

- 2 windows vm (not for gaming). I have a bunch of soft running only on windows

- plex in lxc

- media services on docker (sonarr, sab,....)

- homebridge on docker

- unifi video controller on docker

All these are on ssd except plex library, unifi video recording, download folder and temp data folder which are on a hdd mirror.

For now all these services are running on :

a N54L with 8Gb of memory

a pc with an i3 4330 with 8 Gb of memory

I will receive a HP Z620 with 96 Gb of memory wich i will upgrade with a pair E5-2650V2.

I'm also waiting for a pair of m2 sata 512Gb ssd and i have half a dozen of 2Tb hdd, 3x4Tb.

The Hp has 2 6G sata ports and 8 3G ports.

I have a 3x3,5" in 2x5,25" backplane so i'll have room for 6 hdd.

The 2 ssd m2 sata will reside on a pcie bracket which can support a nvm ssd if needed.

For now i don't plan to move media data from the synology. I plan do it later if i find a das jbod enclosure (tower format or very short depth)

My goal is to simplify maintenance and reduce the number of machines.

I think the hp Z620 has enough resources. I could install it with proxmox and simply move vm and lxc but i don't like to have the proxmox gui and portainer to manage everything.

So my questions are:

- will unraid fit my needs ?

- what would be the ideal storage layout ?

- given the fact that it's very hard to find a sas das enclosure would a usb3 uasp one function correctly with unraid ? 

- my ups is out of order but i will replace it. Can we shut down unraid (and vm and dockers) with snmp ?

- if i add a 2x1Gbe network card can i dedicate it to nfs share on synology ?

Sorry for having been quite long and thank to those who read that.

20 hours ago, caplam said:

I think the hp Z620 has enough resources. I could install it with proxmox and simply move vm and lxc but i don't like to have the proxmox gui and portainer to manage everything.

Are you want to move storage from QNAP / Synology to Unraid and do VM / docker / LXC all above in one ? If you don't like Proxmox to manage all, then what will be change if move to Unraid ? Just bacause a single management for hypervisor and storage ?

My goal is to simplify maintenance and reduce the number of machines.

- given the fact that it's very hard to find a sas das enclosure would a usb3 uasp one function correctly with unraid ? 

Unraid not support UASP and due to USB bandwidth, it won't ideal for storage solution. I see fundamental still disk connect issue, so you repeat add machine in loop.

About a year ago, I go to 2nd phase Rack solution ( 1st phase was SAS/SATA solution ), this is true breakthrough. With SAS/SATA solution, it solve my disk connection need, so I quit QNAP and Synology. With Rack solution, it help utilize most in 2 box Unraid 16bay-main and 12bay-backup.

So I have room to add disk and no headache for long period, if future storage growth, I can combine 2 box be a 28bay, then backup service may provide again by old hardware i.e. QNAP, Synology .....

Sorry those are some thinking and not answer for your question.

Edited by Benson
4 hours ago, Benson said:

Are you want to move storage from QNAP / Synology to Unraid and do VM / docker / LXC all above in one ? If you don't like Proxmox to manage all, then what will be change if move to Unraid ? Just bacause a single management for hypervisor and storage ?

First step : i want only one host for vm, lxc and docker containers. For that i don't need much storage space but it has to be fast enough.

Second step : move storage from synology, qnap. In the synology i have 18TB usable with ssd cache. In the qnap i have 14TB usable.

For this step the main difficulty is to find a reliable storage expansion as i can't have a rackmount chassis deeper than 14".

For now the solution i see is a small tower like DS380 with an expander and a sas hba in the Z620.

The only problem is to find it at a reasonable price.

I think i will install a trial.

I have to find :

- the better way to use my ssds

- how to import my vm

- what to do with my lxc containers

- how to "transfer" services from my docker containers