Moving VM Image

Good Evening,

I have what I am hoping to get a simple solution to but not making any progress...

I have a WIN10 VM on a Unassigned Drive. The UD is failing. I can still boot the VM and use it etc; I just know the drive is dying so trying to salvage what I can while I can.

I have tried using Krusader to copy the 50gb vdisk1.img and it keeps failing. I have tried to download the vdisk1.img to my Mac via FTP and reupload on another unassigned drive and when I download it to my MAC it only downloads IMG as like ~3.5gb. When I point VM to new VDISK location it boots to a windows recovery screen of some sort; I assume because the HDD went from 50gb to ~3.5?

I guess my real question is what other ideas or ways are their to move the FULL 50gb vdisk image around without running into other issues?

First of all backup all your important data inside the VM. If there are sections of the disk with errors which are used by the VM and files which aren't used that often sitting on them you might not see a error. You can try to use chkdsk inside the VM. I never used it inside a VM but in theory Windows should find bad sections and should try to repair it, move the files to good areas of the disk. After that you could try to use a imaging software like Acronis or Clonezilla inside the VM to save the vdisk and later write back the image to a new vdisk or you directly clone it to a new attached vdisk. 

• Like 1