Help needed with single data disk setup

I've just commenced the Unraid trial and I'm unsure how to configure things.

I'll be running a single data drive (4TB WD Red). I created a single XFS partition on it in GParted (with an ms-dos partition table). Unraid detects it, but I'm not sure how to add it without having a parity drive.

The setup I want is very simple. I just want a movies folder that has smb access on the LAN without requiring a login, and other folders to have smb and ftp access, but requiring a login.

If anyone can give me guidance with adding the drive and configuring access, I'd appreciate it.

1 hour ago, Pumpino said:

I'll be running a single data drive (4TB WD Red). I created a single XFS partition on it in GParted (with an ms-dos partition table). Unraid detects it, but I'm not sure how to add it without having a parity drive.

Just assign it as a data drive.  If unRaid recognizes the partitioning, then it's all good.  If not, then it'll format it.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Pumpino said:

I'd been trying to add it as a parity drive rather than in the disk 1 slot below it.

It's added now, but it's reporting "Unmountable: Unsupported partition layout".

probably whatever you did to try to format it before hand, it doesn't like that... no reason to do that either, unraid will take care of it.

I'm fairly new to unraid, I don't know if their is a preferred way to do this in the gui.  I would just ssh in and zero the first 10GB or so of the drive, run partprobe and then use the gui to set things up like normal.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Abzstrak said:

probably whatever you did to try to format it before hand, it doesn't like that... no reason to do that either, unraid will take care of it.

I'm fairly new to unraid, I don't know if their is a preferred way to do this in the gui.  I would just ssh in and zero the first 10GB or so of the drive, run partprobe and then use the gui to set things up like normal.

Yes, I edited my post before you posted. Formatting it resolved it.

Would the correct procedure for creating the shares I want be:

Shares > Add Share > Add public share (Movies)
Shares > Add Share > Add private share (Data)

Go back to Shares, and select Movies
Under SMB, change Security to Public

Under Shares, select Data
Under SMB, change Security to Private (or Secure)