VM deleting files

Hello!

I'm quite a rookie at this but I have a gaming setup with 2 VM's running windows 10.

I'm only running unraid for the gaming VM purpose but my problem is that every time I delete/remove a file from within the windows/vm I delete the files just like you would do on a normal computer by either deleting the files or shift+delete, however hard drive size never updates within the Unraid so my hard drives keep getting full and when they are full the VM get's paused and I end up having to format the hard drive. What is it that I'm doing wrong here?

See on the pictures I attached, in Windows it shows 157GB free space but unraid shows it as 836MB.

image.png.e2a4635940257559b0bddfdbeb5e624c.pngimage.thumb.png.8a862eb3beece7b7dd1555ce7510f3bf.png

I think you are misunderstanding how a vdisk used by a VM works? According to your screen shot the VM has a vdisk size of 239 GB and this is the space used at the Unraid level.    UnRAID has no idea of the free space inside the vdisk - this is only visible to the Windows VM.

linux allocates the vdisk as ‘sparse’ films which means that not all the space is initially allocated but as the VM runs more space will be used (potentially up to the size you specified for the vdisk).     You must therefore have enough space on the Unraid drive for all vdisk files to grow to the size specified when you created them if you want to avoid problems.

Edited by itimpi