Please Help This Noob! :-)

Hi all, 

So im a total noob to unraid but trying to learn fast, 

One of the things i really want to do is to use it as a gaming PC VM, but I cant get it to display on the physical monitor

This is my hardware:

HP Z420 with 6 core intel Xeon 

8GB ram

Nvidia quadro 600 (in first PCIe slot for unraid)

Nvidia quadro 2000 GPU in second PCIe slot for Gaming VM (with physical montior attached)

My unraid vm settings are:

Win10

CPU Pass through

6 Threads

4GB Ram

i440fx-3.1

OVMF Bios

Hyper V on

CD/HDD SATA

Nvidia 2000

So I can run a normal VM fine with no physical GPU, but when I select a dedicated GPU and click run it says "running" on the GUI but nothing is displayed on the physical monitor 

Any ideas?

Thanks

Ash 

Edited by Ash3000k

I may be mistaken, but the Nvidia 600 is certainly too old to use, and the 2000 may be as well. 700 series and above works.

but regardless (or if I'm wrong) you can start by going to google and entering: nvidia windows vm black screen unraid site:forums.unraid.net

that will bring up posts about windows black screens with Nvidia and a few resolutions

27 minutes ago, 1812 said:

I may be mistaken, but the Nvidia 600 is certainly too old to use, and the 2000 may be as well. 700 series and above works.

but regardless (or if I'm wrong) you can start by going to google and entering: nvidia windows vm black screen unraid site:forums.unraid.net

that will bring up posts about windows black screens with Nvidia and a few resolutions

Thanks for the suggestions, both of these are Quadro cards so Im hoping they work. Im only using these cards as im testing unraid for the 30 days to see if its worth me buying and this was the only hardware I had spare, 

Do I need to do anything with the GPU BIOS bit as I left it empty?

Edited by Ash3000k

I tried to dl the GPU bios from gpuz website, and added them to the vm with no joy, 

here is the logs if that helps?

-realtime mlock=off \
-smp 6,sockets=1,cores=3,threads=2 \
-uuid 7ab519b1-450b-defc-2724-32232e1c3b5b \
-display none \
-no-user-config \
-nodefaults \
-chardev socket,id=charmonitor,fd=27,server,nowait \
-mon chardev=charmonitor,id=monitor,mode=control \
-rtc base=localtime \
-no-hpet \
-no-shutdown \
-boot strict=on \
-device pcie-root-port,port=0x8,chassis=1,id=pci.1,bus=pcie.0,multifunction=on,addr=0x1 \
-device pcie-root-port,port=0x9,chassis=2,id=pci.2,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x1.0x1 \
-device pcie-root-port,port=0xa,chassis=3,id=pci.3,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x1.0x2 \
-device pcie-root-port,port=0xb,chassis=4,id=pci.4,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x1.0x3 \
-device ich9-usb-ehci1,id=usb,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x7.0x7 \
-device ich9-usb-uhci1,masterbus=usb.0,firstport=0,bus=pcie.0,multifunction=on,addr=0x7 \
-device ich9-usb-uhci2,masterbus=usb.0,firstport=2,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x7.0x1 \
-device ich9-usb-uhci3,masterbus=usb.0,firstport=4,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x7.0x2 \
-device virtio-serial-pci,id=virtio-serial0,bus=pci.2,addr=0x0 \
-drive 'file=/mnt/user/isos/Windows10 15-7-19.iso,format=raw,if=none,id=drive-sata0-0-0,readonly=on' \
-device ide-cd,bus=ide.0,drive=drive-sata0-0-0,id=sata0-0-0,bootindex=2 \
-drive file=/mnt/user/isos/virtio-win-0.1.160-1.iso,format=raw,if=none,id=drive-sata0-0-1,readonly=on \
-device ide-cd,bus=ide.1,drive=drive-sata0-0-1,id=sata0-0-1 \
-drive file=/mnt/user/domains/uGaming/vdisk1.img,format=raw,if=none,id=drive-sata0-0-2,cache=writeback \
-device ide-hd,bus=ide.2,drive=drive-sata0-0-2,id=sata0-0-2,bootindex=1,write-cache=on \
-netdev tap,fd=29,id=hostnet0,vhost=on,vhostfd=30 \
-device virtio-net-pci,netdev=hostnet0,id=net0,mac=52:54:00:c1:72:1b,bus=pci.1,addr=0x0 \
-chardev pty,id=charserial0 \
-device isa-serial,chardev=charserial0,id=serial0 \
-chardev socket,id=charchannel0,fd=32,server,nowait \
-device virtserialport,bus=virtio-serial0.0,nr=1,chardev=charchannel0,id=channel0,name=org.qemu.guest_agent.0 \
-device vfio-pci,host=04:00.0,id=hostdev0,bus=pci.3,addr=0x0,romfile=/boot/syslinux/HP.Quadro2000.1024.111018.rom \
-device usb-host,hostbus=3,hostaddr=2,id=hostdev1,bus=usb.0,port=1 \
-sandbox on,obsolete=deny,elevateprivileges=deny,spawn=deny,resourcecontrol=deny \
-msg timestamp=on
2019-07-15 21:33:49.725+0000: Domain id=3 is tainted: high-privileges
2019-07-15 21:33:49.725+0000: Domain id=3 is tainted: host-cpu
char device redirected to /dev/pts/0 (label charserial0)

1 hour ago, Ash3000k said:

Thanks for the suggestions, both of these are Quadro cards so Im hoping they work. Im only using these cards as im testing unraid for the 30 days to see if its worth me buying and this was the only hardware I had spare, 

Do I need to do anything with the GPU BIOS bit as I left it empty?

if they are too old and pre-700 series, then at this time there is nothing you can do to my knowledge

• Like 1
9 hours ago, 1812 said:

if they are too old and pre-700 series, then at this time there is nothing you can do to my knowledge

Ah thats a shame thanks anyway, 

I think I may have a GT 1030 or something knocking around somewhere, 

Does it matter which GPU is running unraid GUI, could I just use the Quadro 2000 for that and use a GT 1030 as a gaming vm?

Thanks

Ash

5 hours ago, Ash3000k said:

Ah thats a shame thanks anyway, 

I think I may have a GT 1030 or something knocking around somewhere, 

Does it matter which GPU is running unraid GUI, could I just use the Quadro 2000 for that and use a GT 1030 as a gaming vm?

Thanks

Ash

Unraid is pretty flexible for it's output display. I don't think the 2000 will be a problem. Once you have everything setup, there are ways to then only have 1 gpu in the system for your vm so you don't waste any pcie slots. As long a you don't mind only having web gui access to Unraid (I have a z420 as well and this is how I use mine with a single gtx 1060 in it.)

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, 1812 said:

Unraid is pretty flexible for it's output display. I don't think the 2000 will be a problem. Once you have everything setup, there are ways to then only have 1 gpu in the system for your vm so you don't waste any pcie slots. As long a you don't mind only having web gui access to Unraid (I have a z420 as well and this is how I use mine with a single gtx 1060 in it.)

Ah sounds good, I will have a look for the GT 1030 tonight and swap the GPUs around, 

Random side note, do you have issues with your HDDs overheating in your Z420 when doing intensive things like parity check? My 3.5" Seagate hybrid hard drives get up to 56" and Unraid complains ?

And I dont mind only using web gui, im use to using Vmware ESXI,  😁

Thanks

Ash

Edited by Ash3000k
48 minutes ago, Ash3000k said:

Random side note, do you have issues with your HDDs overheating in your Z420 when doing intensive things like parity check? My 3.5" Seagate hybrid hard drives get up to 56" and Unraid complains ?

I haven't in the past (as of now all my spinning discs are in an external custom jbod enclosure), but I also have the aux fan in the bottom for pcie cards and I'm liquid cooled, inside a sound dampened acoustic rack with directed air flow... so that may also play into my temps.

• Like 1