What's the recommended way in 2019 for setting up ssh keys and authorized hosts on boot?

I've found all sorts of threads on how to best setup SSH keys and authorized_keys files on each boot since they are blown away each time.  I'm trying to see if there is a single best approach that's recommended now in 2019 that's easy to setup and maintain.

Right now what I'm doing is to have my keys and authorized_keys files in /boot/config/ssh/, and in the /boot/config/go file, I copy the files to ~/.ssh/. I use umask in the bash script like follows to handle the permissioning:

#!/bin/bash

# umask setup
umask 077

# Variable Setup
CONFIG=/boot/config/ssh
HOME_SSH=/root/.ssh

if [ ! -d "$HOME_SSH" ]; then
    mkdir $HOME_SSH
    cp $CONFIG/authorized_keys $HOME_SSH
    cp $CONFIG/known_hosts $HOME_SSH
fi

The one flaw in this is that as my server is running 24x7 like most of you, if I ever make changes to my ssh keys, authorized_keys or known_hosts, I have to remember to make changes in /boot/config/ssh then copy the files to ~/.ssh/.

What I was thinking would be better was to instead of copy then, make symbolic links to my master files in /boot/config/ssh from ~/.ssh/.  Then I only every update one spot.

I read some other threads using the /etc/ssh/ directory with some confusing comments about something that happens on boot where keys are copied from /boot/config/ssh automatically to /etc/ssh.  If the keys are present in /etc/ssh and the system uses those automatically, then do i even need keys in ~/.ssh?  Confusing...

this is where you all come in. There has got to be a small # of ways that are best in terms of ease to setup, and ease to maintain as keys are changed etc.

• 2 weeks later...