Simple way to get organised?

z0ki

Quick one for you guru's so I'll try and explain it as simple as I can for everyone without sounding too confusing (which i'm sure it will read out that way anyway) 😂

I only have a 10TB drive installed no Parity disk yet I will have backups in place in the meantime anyway, (a parity disk will be added in a couple of weeks when i purchase another two 10TB drives) my setup of unRaid will be quite simple. It is only going to be used for PLEX and NZB's. Now with only having one disk right now I am thinking if I name the share for example Plex Media 1 fill it with all of my current files that will consist of a Movies folder and a TV Shows folder, then once that is full and I add a new 10TB drive then name that one Plex Media 2 would this be best? I just want to keep things as simple and organised as possible. 

I guess I am used to having a similar system on Windows since probably Win95 so I am familiar with it so I know what hard drive consists of what files instead of having everything spread out all over the place. Or is there another simpler way to do it? As I said my use will be very simple so I want everything to be organised in the same.

Edited by z0ki

Most of the Unraid users what Unraid calls User Shares (or more simply, just --- Shares).  These User Shares are the names of top level directories that exist on any disk.  What you are want to use are called Disk Shares.  They are disabled by default.   (IT is very easy to lose data by copying from Disk Shares to User Shares!!!)  You really don't want to use Disk Shares at this point! 

User Shares (by default) can span all of the data disks in the array.  Which data disk the files actually end up is determined by Unraid (dependant to some extent by certain  user settings).   When one disk is filled to to its allocation limit (which may not to the full capacity of the disk), Unraid can (and will) expand by using the next disk to store any additional files written to that User Share without any user intervention.    All files in a User Share are visible to the user transparently regardless of where they are stored on the data array.  

Now you can force all files by stored in a User Share to a single disk.  You go to Shares, click on the Share name (in blue), find the 'Include Disk(s)' setting and select the disks you want to the share to use for storing files.  (Note!  This will only affect the future storage of files.  It will not cause files on another disk to be moved.)  

Please consider moving away from what you remember from WIN95. Or if you insist on hanging onto that, consider that any Unraid User Share is a 250TB (THAT'S RIGHT-- 250TB!) drive!  All you need to add another twenty-four 10TB data drives to your array.  And you can add them one at a time. 

• Like 1