Array disk & cache errors

Hi UNRAID community,

I've been having some problems for the last week or so that I've been unable to resolve. To try and avoid a wall of text I'll add some bullet points for things as they happened:

• Parity 2 went offline showing 2000+ errors. I could not spin the disk up and a reboot would make it disappear entirely. I assume disk failure.
  • Swap new disk in, rebuild sucessfully - all seems resolved
  • Test 'failed' disk - passes all extended tests
  • Transmission stops being able to write to cache (BTRFS - SSD), errors go from I/O error to read-only error
  • I assume a FS corruption, decide to switch cache to xfs. Reformat & works for a bit.
  • Parity 2 goes offline - exactly as before
  • Swap Parity 2 disk again to test the new disk - after reboot cache has no filesystem and needs formatting

Now when I try to rebuild the array it always fails after a few minutes on parity 2, and the cache keeps going unreadable. I haven't pulled the cache drive for tests yet but it passes SMART. I have also run a couple of passes of memtest just incase, which passed. Any help would be much appreciated.

Edited by localhost

Dayum, we were on the same page just then. After making the post I went out to my shed and grabbed some sata cables as a last resort. Have swapped the cable for parity 2 and its now rebuilding.

I never understood this, even almost a decade ago when I just to work in IT, how the hell does a sata cable just fail. Its obviously not the first time I've seen it but I'm always just left in disbelief. Its a low power signal cable that hasn't been touched, and just fails...

Anyway i'll see how it goes and if I have anymore problems with the cache i'll do the same. I refuse to believe 2 cables have failed simultaneously...

Thanks for your time

5 minutes ago, localhost said:

After making the post I went out to my shed and grabbed some sata cables as a last resort. Have swapped the cable for parity 2 and its now rebuilding.

That's good, but I meant replace both cables on each device, sometimes power cable can cause similar issues, but for now see how it goes with just the SATA cables.

• Upvote 1