Container goes to orphan if shut off.

cylemmulo

I'm trying out containers for the first time and i'm trying to setup just a simple iperf3 server.

I install it, and add the extra parameter "it --rm --name=iperf3-server -p 5201:5201 networkstatic/iperf3 -s" just to get it to map as a server mapped to port 5201. It comes up, does when it needs to do perfectly.

However, if I turn the docker off it immediately turns into an orphan image. Another weird sign is if I try to update it I get "Configuration not found. Was this container created using this plugin?"

Am I doing something wrong? It's not like it's a crazy inconvenience but if I have to reboot for any reason it just murders the container. 

Hey so I figured it out, super super simple but I'm kind of bumbling around here. A reddit used helped me figure out it was the  "-RM" command in my parameters. From my understanding now it's there to clean up the container after it's stopped.

@trurl thank you for the info. Honestly I'm actually just using unraid as a hypervisor for a little homelab because I like the interface and plugins. I've messed around with esxi and proxmox as well, just kind of trying out a few. Don't have any aspirations to actually make a raid array on here.