Want to upgrade from an ageing HP Microserver - Which Xeon CPU and M/B

I have an old HP Microserver with a AMD Turion II Neo N40L Dual-Core @ 1500 MHz cpu and 8gb ram, with 4 x 3tb disks. Had it for 9 or 10 years

CPU is struggling now, i have a number of dockers running, a VM running some SNMP monitoring.

Its gotta be 12 years since i last built a PC - i used to build a lot, but have next to no knowledge on todays hardware :(

Im looking (i think) to goto a 6 or 8 core XEON cpu (is the number of cores important?) - great auction site sees things like - Intel Xeon X5675 Six Core 3.06GHZ Processor SKT LGA1366 Very Fast CPU for £35 which seems worlds ahead from what i have now - is this very power hungry/any good or should i be looking at something different? 

I will be running stuff like SAB, Sonnar, Raddar, Unifi in dockers, one or 2 Linux VM's running LibreNMS or Zabbix and was hoping to run a Win 10 VM - really just to run some windows based apps as I'm mainly a mac user, so its needs to be just a basic user type win 10 machine. 

Where do i start? Id like a smallish case like a Silverstone D380, but that restricts me too motherboards sizes?

Anyway, if i can get an idea of CPU/Board/Ram, then i can move onto the other parts of the forum for SATA cards if its best not to use the motherboard ones?

Edited by rorton
cpu type edited

Hi Rorton,

Personally, i'm thinking X5675 is way too aged, even though it 6 cores with HT, it should be much slower that the new 6 cores i5-9400f.

Performance/price wise X5675 is better. but overall, new cpu should be better as the 1366 CPU is high power consuming and running pretty hot.

Also i don't think you will find the 1366 itx board anywhere. so it won't fit in d380 case.

Please do note that i'm just start running unraid, i'm not 100% sure that 9400f will be enough. But i think it should be....