cannot see drives

So I just built my new home server. I followed the unraid videos on setup and everything. The server boots up, gets all the way to the login. i can go on another computer and connect to it no problem. everything is super fast so far.

Except for 1 slight hiccup. I have a 9207-8i card with 5 drives connect to it. at the moment, only these 5 drives+ the usb boot drive is connected to server.

I cannot seem to be able to see drives in unraid at all.

I did notice a dvd that came with the hba card, but i dont actually have a way to plug that into the server at the moment.

do i need to install any drivers to make the hba card work with unraid and show the drives? or am i missing something else?

2 hours ago, Nelson said:

do i need to install any drivers to make the hba card work with unraid and show the drives? or am i missing something else?

You do not need to install any drivers for the 9207-8i, Unraid has it built in. How are the drives connected to the card? If you are using sas to sata cables then make sure they are Forward SAS SFF-8087 36Pin to 4 SATA 7Pin HDD Hard Drive Cables. Don't forget these cards will need airflow to stay cool by adding a fan for airflow across card to avoid overheating and an early death.

9 minutes ago, jpowell8672 said:

You do not need to install any drivers for the 9207-8i, Unraid has it built in. How are the drives connected to the card? If you are using sas to sata cables then make sure they are Forward SAS SFF-8087 36Pin to 4 SATA 7Pin HDD Hard Drive Cables. Don't forget these cards will need airflow to stay cool by adding a fan for airflow across card to avoid overheating and an early death.

I'm using these right now, i think they seem right?

https://www.amazon.ca/LiNKFOR-SFF-8087-Multi-Lane-Breakout-Internal/dp/B0728KRZYB/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=Forward+SAS+SFF-8087&qid=1569641354&s=electronics&sr=1-3

Edited by Nelson

Those look to be correct. Goto Tools>System Devices and look for Serial Attached SCSI controller: Broadcom / LSI SAS2308 PCI-Express. If it is not listed anywhere under system devices then it is not being recognized by the mother board. You can try placing it in another slot and make sure it is seated all the way correctly. Is it new or used 9207-8i card? There are a lot of counterfit cards out there. I buy used server pulls on ebay from some one with high rating that way you know you are getting a legit card. If after trying all above and it does not show up then theres most likely something wrong with the card. If it shows but no drives show up then it is most likely the cables unless you are using shucked usb drives which have the 3v pin lock.

20 hours ago, jpowell8672 said:

Those look to be correct. Goto Tools>System Devices and look for Serial Attached SCSI controller: Broadcom / LSI SAS2308 PCI-Express. If it is not listed anywhere under system devices then it is not being recognized by the mother board. You can try placing it in another slot and make sure it is seated all the way correctly. Is it new or used 9207-8i card? There are a lot of counterfit cards out there. I buy used server pulls on ebay from some one with high rating that way you know you are getting a legit card. If after trying all above and it does not show up then theres most likely something wrong with the card. If it shows but no drives show up then it is most likely the cables unless you are using shucked usb drives which have the 3v pin lock.

I see a line that says

IOMMU group 7:[1000:0087] 10:00.0 Serial Attached SCSI controller: Broadcom / LSI SAS2308 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-2 (rev 05)

it sounds like what you are saying.

While the 4 red drives are used, i bought them new. the gold drive was just opened before installing.

I also noticed that at the bottom of the webpage, there is a line that says 'Array Stopped•too many devices'

Edited by Nelson
2 minutes ago, Nelson said:

I see a line that says

IOMMU group 7:[1000:0087] 10:00.0 Serial Attached SCSI controller: Broadcom / LSI SAS2308 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-2 (rev 05)

it sounds like what you are saying.

While the 4 red drives are used, i bought them new. the gold drive was just opened before installing.

That's exactly what mine shows, so unraid is seeing the card but not the drives. Well if the power is connected to the drives properly then it would have to be the cables are not the correct Forward breakout type and must be the Reverse breakout ones. At this point I would say get some new cables and make sure they are Forward SAS SFF-8087 36Pin to 4 SATA 7Pin HDD Hard Drive Cables. I am using the blue ones. I have a pair of the red ones like yours that I have not tried so maby go for the blue ones. They are easy to get on ebay.

7 minutes ago, jpowell8672 said:

That's exactly what mine shows, so unraid is seeing the card but not the drives. Well if the power is connected to the drives properly then it would have to be the cables are not the correct Forward breakout type and must be the Reverse breakout ones. At this point I would say get some new cables and make sure they are Forward SAS SFF-8087 36Pin to 4 SATA 7Pin HDD Hard Drive Cables. I am using the blue ones. I have a pair of the red ones like yours that I have not tried so maby go for the blue ones. They are easy to get on ebay.

I see this one (picking amazon, since price is fairly similar and i have prime)

https://www.amazon.ca/Internal-SFF-8087-Forward-Breakout-Cable/dp/B0736MXQ3Q/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=forward%2Bsff-8087&qid=1569722917&s=gateway&sr=8-5&th=1

It says its forward so it should work right?

9 minutes ago, Nelson said:

I see this one (picking amazon, since price is fairly similar and i have prime)

https://www.amazon.ca/Internal-SFF-8087-Forward-Breakout-Cable/dp/B0736MXQ3Q/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=forward%2Bsff-8087&qid=1569722917&s=gateway&sr=8-5&th=1

It says its forward so it should work right?

Yes, they have 1.6ft & 3.3ft go with the shorter ones if long enough for your case setup.

1 hour ago, Nelson said:

alright. cables came in today, plugged them, should i just be able to see the drive automagically, or do i need to do another step first?

So I'm assuming the drives did not show up, if this is correct then: There are 2 versions of this card: 9207-8i which is hba firmware and it's counterpart 9217-8i which is raid firmware. The physical cards are the same but have different firmwares flashed on them. They can be cross flashed either way. If drives are not showing up then we now know it is definitely not the cables. The card is bad/counterfit or has wrong firmware flashed on it. Where did you get the card from, Amazon? If you bought new and price was low then most likely it is a counterfit. I would suggest returning it for a refund along with the cables you don't want. There are many counterfit cards on ebay and yes Amazon. I would suggest buying a used server pull from a reputable seller is best way to get legit card at a good price. I also had this happen to me. The first one I bought new was a counterfit. What about the sata connectors on your main board why are you not using any of them? I have an older forum post describing this counterfit issue I experienced: 

14 minutes ago, jpowell8672 said:

So I'm assuming the drives did not show up, if this is correct then: There are 2 versions of this card: 9207-8i which is hba firmware and it's counterpart 9217-8i which is raid firmware. The physical cards are the same but have different firmwares flashed on them. They can be cross flashed either way. If drives are not showing up then we now know it is definitely not the cables. The card is bad/counterfit or has wrong firmware flashed on it. Where did you get the card from, Amazon? If you bought new and price was low then most likely it is a counterfit. I would suggest returning it for a refund along with the cables you don't want. There are many counterfit cards on ebay and yes Amazon. I would suggest buying a used server pull from a reputable seller is best way to get legit card at a good price. I also had this happen to me. The first one I bought new was a counterfit. What about the sata connectors on your main board why are you not using any of them? I have an older forum post describing this counterfit issue I experienced: 

i got it form this link

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0085FT2JC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

you think it may be fake?

One more thing, what Unraid license did you purchase? Are you using the trial? 

Tier 1

Basic

$59

Up to 6 attached storage devices

Upgrade Basic to Plus for $39

Upgrade Basic to Pro for $79

Tier 2

Plus

$89

Up to 12 attached storage devices

Upgrade Plus to Pro for $49

Tier 3Best Value

Pro

$129

Unlimited attached storage devices

You are only allowed up to 6 max for basic, up to 12 max for plus.

You stated: "only these 5 drives+ the usb boot drive is connected to server" are you sure nothing else is connected to go over the limit of your license?

1 minute ago, jpowell8672 said:

Tier 1

Basic

$59

Tier 2

Plus

$89

Tier 3Best Value

Pro

$129

You stated: "only these 5 drives+ the usb boot drive is connected to server" are you sure nothing else is connected to go over the limit of your license?

i got the pro, so it should not be a problem

15 minutes ago, jpowell8672 said:

Tier 1

Basic

$59

Tier 2

Plus

$89

Tier 3Best Value

Pro

$129

node804-na-diagnostics-20191002-0418.zip

im starting to think it might also be the card like you said. whe i reboot, and then go into the sas config utility and look at sas topology, its also blank

The card came in a White box that looked legit. though, maybe its still fake like you said

Edited by Nelson

I see you added above which I did not know about until tonight: "I also noticed that at the bottom of the webpage, there is a line that says 'Array Stopped•too many devices'"

So there is a reason for that also which is what I am trying to figure out. Did you try going to: Tools>New Config & apply to reset your drive config?

19 minutes ago, jpowell8672 said:

I see you added above which I did not know about until tonight: "I also noticed that at the bottom of the webpage, there is a line that says 'Array Stopped•too many devices'"

So there is a reason for that also which is what I am trying to figure out. Did you try going to: Tools>New Config & apply to reset your drive config?

the array stopped too many devices message stopped now.

48 minutes ago, jpowell8672 said:

What about the sata ports on the main board, have you tried them to test the drives?

.. maybe it is the drive s? I pulled the gold 10 tb drive and connected directly to mobo. and its not showing up either? which is weird right? since it should be a new drive. could something in the bios be affecting these things?

Edited by Nelson