About discounts

14 minutes ago, Helmonder said:

if you do not want to be on the bleeding edge you do not need one

It's not so much being on the bleeding edge for me, it's the hit and miss cloud backup solutions that I need to test and ease into.  Mileage definitely varies on this topic. 

Because I didn't test the main ones fully, I've run into issues that I would have liked to have known before I moved from Windows to unRAID.  Backblaze is supported for example, but only on the expensive B2 plans.  Cloudberry Backup does Google Cloud, not Google Drive/G Suite for which I have an unlimited subscription.  Duplicati was working great, but then slowed down to a trickle, and now I've broken it and can't get the web UI going.   I'm not experienced enough, with Linux to be super confident fixing this stuff in a reasonable time frame, and it causes a few nervous moments.

On 12/23/2019 at 8:45 AM, Davin S said:

It's not so much being on the bleeding edge for me, it's the hit and miss cloud backup solutions that I need to test and ease into.  Mileage definitely varies on this topic. 

Because I didn't test the main ones fully, I've run into issues that I would have liked to have known before I moved from Windows to unRAID.  Backblaze is supported for example, but only on the expensive B2 plans.  Cloudberry Backup does Google Cloud, not Google Drive/G Suite for which I have an unlimited subscription.  Duplicati was working great, but then slowed down to a trickle, and now I've broken it and can't get the web UI going.   I'm not experienced enough, with Linux to be super confident fixing this stuff in a reasonable time frame, and it causes a few nervous moments.

Gottit... I used to use cloud backup but went away from it... The free or cheap ones change or go away to often for my sake.. I was very happy with crashplan untill it decided to stop doing what I used... This causing me to setup something new and work towards getting 50TB of data back into someone elses cloud...

I ended up setting up a second unraid server with cheaper hardware and using syncthing to keep them up to date on irregular basis (the secundary system is allmost allways off, I turn it on a couple of times per year to make sure it is synced. The fact that it is mostly off also makes sure that I do not run into any risks with cryptoware (or at least: not as fast).. 

The secundary server has no exposed drives, that also makes it more secure... I was planning to move it out of the house but ended up never doing that.. Still something I would like to do..

1 hour ago, Helmonder said:

Gottit... I used to use cloud backup but went away from it...

Near realtime cloud backup is such an important part of the backup puzzle for us unfortunately.  Our average time to deliver wedding photos is 10 days, but wedding films are about 6 to 8 weeks, and that's our most vulnerable window.  Despite being only 8 km from our CBD (city of a million people), it's in a part where the hills almost meet the city, and we're surrounded by Australian bush.... which comes with the risk of bushfires.   We have a local offline Macbook that runs automated card copies (helps remove human element and is isolated from ransomeware), plus redundant server drives that *were* synced to the cloud. 

Under Windows Server, the backups were seemless.  We moved away from Crashplan too, with painfully slow 2Mbps uploads restricting it to small admin type documents.  The latest 50% price hike was the nail in the coffin for something so lightly used, now iDrive with 30 version file history is doing that job with almost acceptable 10Mbps uploads.  An unlimted G Suite account was fast enough to flatline our 100/40 connection, backing up 150GB to 200GB of camera files from a wedding by the next day.  I say *was*, but with no native linux client, and with G Suite not supporting network drives as of 2 years ago, a Windows VM isn't going to help after our move to unRAID.  Duplicati starts fast, but drops right off to 100Kbps (yep that's a k). 

Getting our iDrive account running under the Linux scripts would be great, but that's a project for when I'm feeling braver.  In the meantime, a Windows VM is helping there, but photo and video footage is being manually upload to G Suite via a web browser afetr each wedding, until I get Duplicati reliably fast 😥