User shares not available during data rebuild

unw1red

I did some upgrades this weekend. I had a 10TB parity drive and swapped it out for a 12TB in preparation for some HD size upgrades. I replaced a 3TB with the new 12TB. I then changed the parity from the 10TB to the new 12TB. The parity copy took about 24 hours, but it all completed. I then reassigned the 10TB that was my parity to be a data drive. I did the reassignments and then started the array so the 10TB could go through data rebuild. 

From reading numerous posts, while this operation was taken place, my server should have function normally, albeit slow, while this was happening. My shares were not available and Docker and VMs could not start because they had missing paths (appdata and domains).

Is this normal? I still need to replace two 3TB drives with two new 12TB drives, but I am afraid to start this procedure for fear that my server will be useless for another two to three days.

Can anyone comment or guide me on what I may be doing wrong?

The only thing that stands out in the logs, barring the backups that are trying to be performed but can't, is this block.

Nov 11 05:30:16 Musial emhttpd: shcmd (4942): /usr/sbin/hdparm -y /dev/nvme1n1
Nov 11 05:30:16 Musial root:  HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(standby) failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
Nov 11 05:30:16 Musial root: 
Nov 11 05:30:16 Musial root: /dev/nvme1n1:
Nov 11 05:30:16 Musial root:  issuing standby command
Nov 11 05:30:16 Musial emhttpd: shcmd (4942): exit status: 25