We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Using Rsync to do backups, best practices?

je82

Hi,

I've setup rsync to run backup to another server in the house on a cron. I however wonder if you would add anything to this to make it more safe?

I run this command for example:

rsync -avu --delete --backup --backup-dir=/mnt/disk1/Deleted --suffix="_"$(date +"%Y%m%d") --stats --exclude=.Recyc -e "ssh -i /root/.ssh/NAS-rsync-key -T -o Compression=no -x" /mnt/disk9/Temp/testing/ [email protected]:/mnt/disk1/Test/ >> /home/nasbackuplogs/logs/disk11-backup-$(date +"%Y%m%d").log

With this command i do:

• send new files to the backup destination
  • move files that have been deleted on source to /mnt/disk1/Deleted on the destination server
  • create a log file of happenings on a third server through a mounted smb share.

The risk i see with this is what happens if for some reason the filsystem fails and it doesn't find any files in /mnt/disk9/Temp/testing/ and it triggers it to delete / move all the files in this to /mnt/disk1/Deleted and disk1 fills up? Or if user mistakingly has deleted everything in /mnt/disk9/Temp/testing/ and the backup now deletes everything... I feel like it would be good practice to have some kind of "limiter" how many files can be deleted per session else trigger a warning and require manual intervention?

Any idea how to do this in scripting? Or am i going about this the complete wrong way?

Thanks.