AMD processor overkill

Hello all!

I am looking at building a nas and what I keep hearing is if you have a large array and use ZFS (I am told unraid does have this option), you need a beefy processor. My question is, what exactly is considered beefy enough? I was thinking of getting a Ryzen 9 3900X but is that too much power? How can I know?

Unraid doesn't have a ZFS option, but there is a plugin for that here:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/41333-zfs-plugin-for-unraid/

You might take a look at that thread to get some idea of what you might be getting into. Here are some relevant quotes from the first post in that support thread:

ZFS uses a kernel module it needs to be rebuilt for every new release (that changes the kernel).

This plugin does not allow you to use ZFS as a part of the array or a cache pool

Disclamer: This is not supported at all by Limetech. I wont take any resposibility if this package trashes your data... 

On the other hand, if you aren't really committed to ZFS and just want to learn more about what Unraid is all about, I encourage you to take a look at the Product pages linked at the top of this page and this Wiki Overview:

https://wiki.unraid.net/UnRAID_6/Overview

On 11/26/2019 at 10:19 PM, Raevyn said:

Hello all!

I am looking at building a nas and what I keep hearing is if you have a large array and use ZFS (I am told unraid does have this option), you need a beefy processor. My question is, what exactly is considered beefy enough? I was thinking of getting a Ryzen 9 3900X but is that too much power? How can I know?

For a NAS, in the AMD world I would do either the 3700X or the 3600. Reason for me would simply be because they are both 65 watt TDP CPU's, so easier to keep cool, take less power for 24x7 operations, and still overkill for a NAS.