Preparing to migrate to Unraid.

draeh

Before I pull the trigger on some new hardware and an Unraid license, I had a few questions about my scenario and whether unraid is the right fit.

Currently I have 2 Dell Optiplex 9020's running Debian 9 as servers. One is a dedicated Plex media server with a 120GB ssd for boot, a 250GB ssd for the plex metadata and two 8TB drives in raid 0 for the media libraries. The second server is a jack-of-all-trades. Its a web-server, database server, and Openhab/MQTT server as well as a development test-bed for various projects.

What I would like to know is if Unraid with docker objects can be both the storage and vm solution for all these services within the same box. I think the answer is yes, but confirmation would be great. Also, what kind of drive configuration would I need to get started? Obviously once the data is migrated, I'll have the drives listed above for additional storage, but what and how many do I need to start with?

Thanks in advance!

• 1 month later...

I think you have found answers in the forum. But in short you can do that with unraid.

You like to live dangerously: a raid 0 for your media files. 

For example my unraid server runs 5 or 6 vms, 45 docker containers and handle my media libraries. I suggest you to read the forum to know how to properly setup your server.