New, low power, build. Will it work?

sreese

Hi everyone,

so I need a storage box. I don't want VMs but just plain storage with Plex (without transcoding).

I need it to be silent and low power. What do you guys think about these parts.

• Big Case: Fractal Define XL R2
  • Low power CPU: AMD Athlon 200GE
  • Mainboard: AsRock AB350 Pro4 (6x SATA III)
  • RAM: Samsung M378A1K43CB2-CTD
  • RAM: Power Unit
  • SSD for OS: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB

I already have an SSD for the Cache and 4x WD REDs for storage.

Will it work? Any advice for improvement?

Cheers

Sherry

Edited by sreese

2 of the 6 SATA ports are not through the chipset by 3rd party ASMedia ASM1061 controller. I don't tend to trust non-chipset SATA ports as I have had a few that didn't work properly.

Also to run the 200GE on 3xx chipset, you will have to update BIOS, which may require an older gen CPU. So just to be safe get 4xx chipset.

I just saw that for unRAID people are using USB drives for the OS, so I guess I don't need that one SSD. Also now I'm thinking about going all in: Means building a home server that is powerful (not low power anymore) and can run VMs, Docker, Plex WITH transcoding and so on. Thanks for the SATA ports advice.

2 hours ago, testdasi said:

2 of the 6 SATA ports are not through the chipset by 3rd party ASMedia ASM1061 controller. I don't tend to trust non-chipset SATA ports as I have had a few that didn't work properly.

Also to run the 200GE on 3xx chipset, you will have to update BIOS, which may require an older gen CPU. So just to be safe get 4xx chipset.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B450-Gaming-X-rev-10/sp#sp would be better, right? I plan to get the AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (AM4, 3.20GHz, 8-Core) now.

The B chipset does not have enough lanes for a M.2 + 6 SATA. If you read the manual (pdf can be downloaded from the manufacturer website), it will tell you e.g. if you use M.2 then 2 SATA ports will be deactivated.

You need X chipset i.e. more expensive.

To use the Ryzen 7, you will also need at least a low-end GPU as it doesn't have a integrated GPU.

OK, so I decided to get the following parts. Could anyone confirm I can run this headless?

• CASE: Fractal Define R6 Black

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700

• MB: ASRock X470D4U

• RAM: 4x Corsair Vengeance LPX &GB = 32GB

• FAN: Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4

• POWER: be quiet! Straight Power 11 Gold 750 Watt

Edited by sreese