Disabled drives on my server

o0Dan0o

First, thank you to everyone who responds to my post! I appreciate your expertise and support!

Background, I'm in the process of upgrading my array drives from 3TB to 10TB. All drives are WD Reds. So far, I've replaced the pairity drive with two 10TB as well as one data drive. I had just finished pre-clearing another 10TB WD Red, but hadn't added it to the array yet. My system is a Xeon 1680 V4 (8C) with an Asus X79 Delux and corsair 650W PSU. No HDD controller card. One more note, two weeks ago when I performed my last parity check there were 5 errors, this was after replacing the two parity drives and the one data drive. After running another parity check with correct enabled, the errors were corrected and a subsequent check found 0 errors.

Last night I added two more drives to my server to be used as cache drives. To date I haven't used cache drives, but I'd like to start ripping media strait to the server, vs storing it on my PC. They're Seagate IronWolf SSHDs, simply the cheapest 2.5" 2TB drives available when I bought them. After about 10-20 minutes of running pre-clear, both drives fail. 

When I go and look at the array, one of my 3TB WD Red drives has been disabled. I stop the array and replace the disabled drive with the new 10TB WD Red that I've just pre-cleared. After ~20 minutes of rebuilding the 10TB drive, the rebuild fails and the new 10TB drive is disabled.

My Asus X79 Delux has 6 SATA III ports attached to the PCH and another 6 ports attached to an integrated 3rd party controller. My assumption is that this controller died when I tried to pre-clear the 2TB drives, and that both the 10TB & 3TB drives that have been disabled are on that controller. I've attached my diagnostics download, and I've since shut down the machine wanted to get feedback on this before I proceed.

I believe my next steps are to get an LSI SAS 9207-8i, or similar, and try to rebuild the lost drive again, and if the drive fails again replace that with a brand new drive. Would you agree with this? Should I replace my mobo/CPU at the same time with one off of the compatibility list?

Thank you!

Daniel

peter-diagnostics-20200206-2116.zip

Hey tee-tee jorge, I took your advice and got a LIS 9207-8i.

I've installed it and started the rebuild, but that was going very slowly, around 6-8MBps.

I did some interneting and found the idea to turn off all of my dockers. Did so and the rebuild rate shot right up to ~160MBps, so all good. Not sure what the issue was, but I'll do some debugging after the array is rebuild :S

Thank you for you help, I really appreciate it that people like you take time out of your day to help the plebs!

Dan