Rebuilding parity 2 - a question ..

I'm sitting, watching (sad) a rebuild of new 14Tb parity2 disk and am thinking .... 'what happens if my parity 1 disk takes a dive now?'

I've still got my old 12Tb parity2 disk but, the system HAS been lightly used over the past 30hrs it has been going, would it be of any use??

And, is there any way to prevent the system from doing its own internal stuff to the disks which could corrupt the whole exercise if parity1 goes down?

something like a 'parity' mode which stops every job bar the parity upgrade activity itself from writing to the pair of parity disks maybe?

Anyone any ideas on best practice?

I've only got 2hrs 21mins to go, fingers x'd.

Edited by superloopy1
16 minutes ago, superloopy1 said:

I'm sitting, watching (sad) a rebuild of new 14Tb parity2 disk and am thinking .... 'what happens if my parity 1 disk takes a dive now?'

I've still got my old 12Tb parity2 disk but, the system HAS been lightly used over the past 30hrs it has been going, would it be of any use??

And, is there any way to prevent the system from doing its own internal stuff to the disks which could corrupt the whole exercise if parity1 goes down?

something like a 'parity' mode which stops every job bar the parity upgrade activity itself from writing to the pair of parity disks maybe?

Anyone any ideas on best practice?

I've only got 2hrs 21mins to go, fingers x'd.

If you want to make sure nothing else is changed on the array you can do the rebuild in Maintenance mode.

• Thanks 1

Thats a good idea, why didnt I do that then, d'oh!

Maybe another prompt could be useful in the event of a dual parity rebuild where BOTH parity drives have potential to be u/s if parity1 goes down otherwise. Rebuilding single parity is not as risky in my opinion.

Or am i just overthinking, not preempting a potential failure ...

Edited by superloopy1