Unifi + Pfsense + 2 x ISP's = 2 Networks?

casperse

Hi All

I need some help on how to do this in the best way possible

I have followed this guide to create a VM running pfSense with 4 Intel NIC added (Not virtual NIC's)

I would like to set this connection up to another ISP2....

In my new setup I have two ISP's so one for the household on Unifi (ISP1) and now this (ISP2) on pfsense for the Unraid server

Everything runs on the Unraid server and that is where I need my ISP2 to connect to

The Unraid server have 2 physical NIC's

image.png.3d759b64d9e5bebd3b94519570a30ab4.png

The VMpfsense have 4 physical NIC's

The Unifi network controls everything else and WLAN using 192.168.0.1/24 and I need to be able to reach the Unraid server from this LAN.

Options?

1) Split the two NIC's on Unraid into 2 different networks and connect the new LAN to one of the free NIC's on the pfsense as a NIC switch?

2) Some virtual connection between the pfsense router and Unraid - the internal dockers/VM's ?

3) Some VLAN setup in pfsense?

4) Other solutions?

Hope this make sense (Didn't have time to create a drawing 🙂 )

Sorry this is new territory to me and normally I have managed with only having one LAN and one ISP but I like the idea of dividing access and speed on two ISP's

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!

Edited by casperse

looking at something similar, multiple isp, multiple instances of the same docker on the same machine utilizing multiple isp connections.

I did ask a while ago about having mutiple isp traffic down a single cat6 run. Think the answer was yes provided VLANS are used. 

Trying to get pfsense setup this week and play with it this weekend. Still trying to isolate my 4 port sfp+ NIC card from unraid. 

6 hours ago, anylettuce said:

looking at something similar, multiple isp, multiple instances of the same docker on the same machine utilizing multiple isp connections.

I did ask a while ago about having mutiple isp traffic down a single cat6 run. Think the answer was yes provided VLANS are used. 

Trying to get pfsense setup this week and play with it this weekend. Still trying to isolate my 4 port sfp+ NIC card from unraid. 

Yes that did also take me a very long time and afterwards getting pfsense to see them...

2 things i missed.

1) If you use other boot configuration then remember to disable the NIC in all of them!

2) The "machine model" must match the one in the video from space invader the new Q35-XX breaks the 4 NIC has to be 2.11

Looking forward to hear about how you are going to set this up.... 🙂

Edited by casperse

I just remembered why I didn't do this years ago and couldn't get anywhere. iommu is disabled on my test machine. agin cant remember if it was something I was going to look at and never did or the board can't do it. 10+ yo server hardware.

I might build a low end ryzen 3 build and retire this one. I would like to have a unraid strictly for certain dockers and not to much on protection. Got to also figure out how space invador setup that 2nd pfsense to take over if unraid goes down 

I think I will end up doing another default gateway on the same subnet...

192.168.0.1 --> ISP1

192.168.0.8 --> ISP2

That way I can manage everything on the same network and I can point Unraid to one ISP and the rest to the old one

Any problems doing it this way?

Would it be possible to have a secondary gateway if the first one goes down?