Best or easiest way to impliment VLANs?

Energen

For my new setup that I'm planning, I'm contemplating playing around with VLAN's .. to separate IoT devices from my main network devices.. to kind of play around with network security and such a little bit.. not a major concern, just playing around.

I've looked at some smart / managed switches but they seem either too complicated or more advanced than I really need/want.  

What's the best solution?  I was thinking of running different sets of routers and such but that might create it's own set of problems and management headaches.  Maybe a simple smart switch is what I want?  

I looked at a TP-Link 24 port for under $100 but a main complaint about it was that the management GUI could be accessed from any VLAN, so somewhat of a security risk I guess.. not sure that the risk would really be a concern to to many people?

I've survived without VLAN's for many years but figured I'd just start playing with them, so what should I do here? :D

1 hour ago, Energen said:

management GUI could be accessed from any VLAN

Usually those are something call "Smart switch" and most no Web GUI support, it use apps or application program to config. For all could access management, it also a benefit because you never logout youself for management.

Also, you need plan port-base or tag-base, port-base is quite simple and easy implement.

If tag-base, you need thinking deeper and need router support tag vlan too.

Recommand CSS326, just a bit cost, except you never think tag-base or 10G.

Edited by Benson