Headless hardware accelerated remote desktop on Linux VM

Hi,

I'm a bit new to Desktop Linux.

Can anyone advise if it's possible at all to setup a completly headless GPU accelerated remote desktop in Linux VM ?

I've googled a lot but couldn't find any suitable step-by-step guide on this.

I have no problems in passing a GPU to the Linux and when the display is connected then the desktop session is accelerated. But I can't achieve the same using remote connection. I tried Google Remote Desktop, VNC and even Steam Remote Play. Just can't figure out how to do it. I install Nvidia driver and GPU is detected via nvidia-smi but it has no effect on any desktop speed improvements.

• 6 months later...

Have you tried a HDMI dongle? I want to say that the GPU drivers will want to detect a physical display. If that's the case the HDMI dongle that mimics an actual display may be what you are looking for.

I game AAA titles in Windows 10 with GPU pass-through no problem. For that to work, I need to have a HDMI dongle.

Also, do you have a second GPU for Unraid to use? You need to have a second GPU if you are trying to pass-through your primary GPU in the first slot.