We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Removing a drive and its data only.

Without wanting to go into the details of a really boring sob story, I have finally reached the fourth stage of grief and accepted that the data on my disk twelve is irrecoverably corrupted, so time to move on. Even with the drive removed, replaced, location swapped, rebuilt and the array run in emulation, and all permutation thereof, the files are visible, but read/write is impossible. New permissions change nothing, and those files are undeletable. What I would like to do is just yank the drive, lose the files on that disk, and rebuild the array, while also not affecting the files on the other disks. How might I go about this?

Edited by dbrowne
stylistic

I did this just yesterday.

First check everything is running normally and healthy. Dont do this if something is already missing or running from parity. That would sound like a badn thing to do.

I also took a screenshot of the main page of all my disks so I could see what they currently were and double check them.

How I did this was by turning off unraid (my array was healthy I just didnt want a disk), then removing the disk I no longer want.

Unraid then boots up and does not start the array because of a missing disk.

I then chose tools-new config and opted to preserve all the current disk assignments.

I could then remove the disk from the new assignments.

Once done I then saved that and started the array. All seemed to work fine.

P

• Thanks 1