Cache drive option = Prefer method

Hi,

I have read this FAQ regarding the Cache drive option - Prefer:

I have something doubts that need clarification.

I hope someone can help me out.

Questions:

Mover will transfer the shared files from Array to Cache drive under the following

conditions A or B is met:

=============================================================================

(A) Your cache drive (normally it is SSD / HDD) suddenly out of out of order.

You get a new replacement(SSD/HDD), install it to unRAID as new Cache drive.

When this condition (A) is met:

The mover will only transfer your files from the Array >> to >> new Cache drive either by

the scheduler or by manually click the move button? Right?

=============================================================================

(B) Your cache drive (normally it is SSD / HDD) capacity is small, you want to increase

the size. You get a new replacement(SSD/HDD) with larger capacity, install it to unRAID as

new Cache drive.

When this condition (B) is met:

The mover will only transfer your files from the Array >> to >> new Cache drive either by

Thank you.

2 hours ago, wepee said:

Right

2 hours ago, wepee said:

Also right

But, under either of your scenarios, the files that were already on the cache drive are going to be lost.  Keep an occasional backup of the appdata for your docker applications (a plugin exists to help with this)

Cache_Option+No+Yes+Only+Prefer.jpg

@Squid

I created a share folder, just to experiment about the mover function.

I was able to get mover to move files from: Cache to Array.

Using "Yes" option. It worked as expected.

So, the next experiment was to test file from: Array to Cache.

I configured the share to use Cache by selecting: "Prefer" option.

At this stage in time, my cache was already set up and running.

I wanted to move the files from the my existing array using manual method.

Sorry, I paraphrased my statements:

I have attached my diagnostic file.

I created a shared called: Backup downloads, using: "Prefer" method for Caching

I checked within unRAID main tab, opened up the Cache drive, and saw the Backup downloads was created.

However, this Backup downloads folder was not reflected within the array.

I searched all the array disks, I could not find the shared folder: Backup downloads.

Question 1:

How to make: Backup downloads shared folder to be shown available at:

Cache + Array, using the Prefer method?

Question 2:

If I am using "Prefer" method, what is going to happen to Cache when its capacity

is full? Referring to the diagram above, I understood it will overflow to the Array.

Meaning my data will be split up storing in the Cache and Array? Right?

Mover failed to move the files, that is from Array to Cache, by manually pressing

the move button.

I could find out what was the reason of not moving the files.

Thankfully you have just answered my questions to clear my doubt.

But unfortunately, the instant help notification does not explain in details

about what was the condition require for the mover to move the files from

Array to Cache.

biostarunraid-diagnostics-20200322-0100.zip

Edited by wepee
1 minute ago, wepee said:

I could find out what was the reason of not moving the files.

Within Settings - Scheduler - Mover Settings, you can enable Mover logging to determine what's going on.

Then you can post your diagnostics with a note about what share you're playing around with.

2 hours ago, Squid said:

But, under either of your scenarios, the files that were already on the cache drive are going to be lost.  Keep an occasional backup of the appdata for your docker applications (a plugin exists to help with this)

@Squid

To prevent Appdata folder being from erased/lost, change use Cache =  Yes,

then press: the move button to move all data from the Appdata folder to

the array, right?

2 minutes ago, Squid said:

Yeah, but that's not a "backup" because that's not how you normally run the appdata share, and in your first scenario you wouldn't have the opportunity to do that since your cache "died"

Yeah, now I realize that I need to work on the Backup plugin that you mentioned

earlier, to solve this backup Appdata from the Cache.

On 3/21/2020 at 11:46 AM, wepee said:

However, this Backup downloads folder was not reflected within the array.

I searched all the array disks, I could not find the shared folder: Backup downloads.

Depends upon how you're looking at it.  If surfing around via the array devices and exploring each individual disk, then no you wouldn't find it, because it exists on the cache drive only at the moment (because it "prefers" to be on the cache drive and will only use the array as a fall back if the cache gets full).  It IS still completely available over the network and will contain any and all files whether they are located on the cache drive or on an array disk

Question 2:

If I am using "Prefer" method, what is going to happen to Cache when its capacity

is full? Referring to the diagram above, I understood it will overflow to the Array.

Meaning my data will be split up storing in the Cache and Array? Right?

Yes

How to make: Backup downloads shared folder to be shown available at:

Cache + Array, using the Prefer method?

You might be completely over thinking things.  For speed and stuff that isn't particularly important or temporary (like downloads), you would tend to set them to be cache:Prefer

For regular stuff you set it to either cache:No or cache:Yes 

Regardless of where anything is physically stored (cache or array), it is always available on the "array".  IE: navigating through your shares on a Windows box will show all the files, whether or not they are on the cache drive or the array (or a combination)

Telling something like Plex to find your media files at /mnt/user/ShareName will find all your files regardless of whether or not they are on the array or the cache drive.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Squid said:

Depends upon how you're looking at it.  If surfing around via the array devices and exploring each individual disk, then no you wouldn't find it, because it exists on the cache drive only at the moment (because it "prefers" to be on the cache drive and will only use the array as a fall back if the cache gets full).  It IS still completely available over the network and will contain any and all files whether they are located on the cache drive or on an array disk

Yes

You might be completely over thinking things.  For speed and stuff that isn't particularly important or temporary (like downloads), you would tend to set them to be cache:Prefer

For regular stuff you set it to either cache:No or cache:Yes 

Regardless of where anything is physically stored (cache or array), it is always available on the "array".  IE: navigating through your shares on a Windows box will show all the files, whether or not they are on the cache drive or the array (or a combination)

Telling something like Plex to find your media files at /mnt/user/ShareName will find all your files regardless of whether or not they are on the array or the cache drive.

@Squid

Thank you for your precious time in responding my query.