Newbie Build - Please check my setup so I am not making a mistake.....

Hey Gang

I am going to jump in on the Unraid setup....   I will be using it to do backup of my computers 5-6 computers, family photos etc...   NAS, I will also be using it as a Plex server  I will not be transcoding 4k all 4k content will keep 4k content on a disk for the 4k blu ray player.   I will be storing my movie collection on the Unraid, as well as running a few dockers and running a VM of windows.   I won't be doing any gaming on the rig.  Form factor will be in a 3-4U case.   Give me as much feedback as possible as I have never done this or built a computer let alone a server....   Thanks in advance!

Motherboard -  Asus Prime B450M-A/CSM AMD Ryzen 2

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 3400G and or 5 2600G or 3 3200G

Memory - Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4

M2 Drive - Samsung (MZ-V7E500BW) 970 EVO SSD 500GB - M.2 NVMe   or this one ADATA SU800 512GB M.2 2280 SATA 3D NAND

Ethernet Card - 1G Gigabit Ethernet Converged Network Adapter

Edited by lycokayaker
27 minutes ago, Pheonix56 said:

I've not even had a sniff of advice, I'm wondering if to go with Ryzen 7 2700 or the 5 3600.

Any reasons why you have gone for the 5 2600?

honestly my concept was price and im not transcoding 4k.....   Everything I read on the Plex forums wasn't not to transcode 4k.  It takes a ton of processor and video card plus a ton of money here is the link for you to peak at.  Plus you should have a really robust infrastructure for your home network...   I am hardwired with a unifi setup and running Cat6 but im cheap.

https://forums.plex.tv/t/info-plex-4k-transcoding-and-you-aka-the-rules-of-4k/378203

16 hours ago, lycokayaker said:

anyone come on...  your all in quarantine!   be safe!

As you mention you will go on 3-4U case, but you haven't stat what hardware to connect 16-24 disks. The main issue on 3-4U case was noise and low cooling efficiency. What actual no. of disk you need or plan ?

For your build, I have some comment

- Why use MATX board and only have one 16x slot. This will limit the expansibility, you should found some have three 16x slot board, so you may add HBA or Display ( Ryzen no build-in GPU ), NIC etc. My current build was a very cheap MB Gigabyte Z390UD with 2 LSI HBA and 10G NIC. ( Previous was Ryzen 1700 with Prime Asus X370-pro )

- I will use onboard NIC instead add-on, because I haven't found problem with Realtek NIC. But recent years change to 10G, so I use add-on and on-board NIC for wake-on-lan purpose only.

Edited by Benson
6 hours ago, Benson said:

As you mention you will go on 3-4U case, but you haven't stat what hardware to connect 16-24 disks. The main issue on 3-4U case was noise and low cooling efficiency. What actual no. of disk you need or plan ?

For your build, I have some comment

- Why use MATX board and only have one 16x slot. This will limit the expansibility, you should found some have three 16x slot board, so you may add HBA or Display ( Ryzen no build-in GPU ), NIC etc. My current build was a very cheap MB Gigabyte Z390UD with 2 LSI HBA and 10G NIC. ( Previous was Ryzen 1700 with Prime Asus X370-pro )

- I will use onboard NIC instead add-on, because I haven't found problem with Realtek NIC. But recent years change to 10G, so I use add-on and on-board NIC for wake-on-lan purpose only.

I only planning on running 3-6 drives....   So maybe hot swap setup for just run all to the board...   No need for 16-24 disk if im running 12-14 Tb drives....   Ah  I thought going 3-4 U would make things quieter bigger fans etc.   Would doing a 2u be more thermally efficient and quiet?  I am looking up your recommendations now!  Good catch on the Ryzen.  They make one with a GPU attached.  I would use that instead.    What CPU did you pair with your Gigabyte motherboard?

Edited by lycokayaker
1 hour ago, lycokayaker said:

I thought going 3-4 U would make things quieter bigger fans etc.

Most come with 8cm or 12cm several very high rpm and noise fans.

Would doing a 2u be more thermally efficient and quiet?

Negative and even worst, the main reason like 3-4U because almost no space between disks, air flow blocking seriously and 2U impossible have 12cm fan.

But I agree if you only insert 3-6 disks then situation would be different. My reason go to rack just because I need high disk slot count.

They make one with a GPU attached.

But just 4C8T, seems this year will coming Ryzen 4000 APU ( desktop ), it should have more core count.

What CPU did you pair with your Gigabyte motherboard?

i7-9700K in a 3U case.

Edited by Benson