Failed disk, copying data to rest of array?

I've had a disk fail out on me this afternoon and sadly with the state of things at the moment COVID-19 wise, I'm struggling to find a suitable next day delivery for a replacement drive.

The rest of the disks have enough space free for me to copy the data from the emulated failed disk to the rest of the drives so I'm protected until I can get a drive delivered and pre-cleared.

Is is just as simple as moving everything from the failed /disk2/movies folder into /disk3/movies etc etc? Does the parity recalculate on the fly as per a normal write to the shares so there would be no other steps, just moving the data around?

57 minutes ago, dynamis_dk said:

The rest of the disks have enough space free for me to copy the data from the emulated failed disk to the rest of the drives so I'm protected until I can get a drive delivered and pre-cleared.

I'm not following your logic. Until parity is once again valid, another drive failure will result in data loss. Whether the data is on drive slot X or drive slot Y doesn't factor in to the equation.

The only scenario where you get protected again without rebuilding is to get the data from the emulated slot placed elsewhere and rebuild parity from the remaining drives. If you don't plan on rebuilding parity before getting a replacement disk, there's no point in taking the extra risk of moving data around.

How healthy are the rest of your disks? Was the failure anticipated? Are you sure the "failed" disk is actually bad? A majority of the time a red balled disk is the result of something other than the drive itself.

I recommend attaching the current diagnostic zip file to your next post in this thread.

• Like 1

Hi, thanks for the response.

my logic was based on if I move the data from the faulty disk (currently being emulated from everything else), as I’m moving the parity would be calculated as I’m moving from the emulated disk so I could then remove the disk which flagged as faulty and replace (to get back to the same total array size) with new once it arrives.

if that theory doesn’t hold up (dispite having run unraid for many years, I’m still very much an unraid noob with this like this) then I think I might just power the server down until a replacement drive arrives and I can get it pre-cleared.

i wouldn’t say anticipated as such but it had racked up about 50 errors last night so I was going to look at it further today but then came to it and unraid had marked it red and disabled.

im doing a bit of home wiring (replacing Power sockets etc) so I’ve powered everything down for now. Once I’m finished and I can grab the logs, I’ll upload for further guidance later tonight. Many thanks