Remote (no physical access) installation on HP Microserver possible?

Hi everyone,

I plan to re-purpose my HP Microserver Gen8 and really like the sound of unRAID. Unfortunately my server is a long way away from my physical location and I will not be anywhere near it for a while.

Is it possible for me to do this without physical access somehow?

It is currently configured with ESXi 6.0 which boots from an internal USB drive. I guess I can't use the unRAID USB flash creator app on a Windows guest VM.

I have full iLO & remote console access to the server so can see the console at all times and make storage configuration changes etc.

Any thoughts on the best way to achieve this, if it is even possible?

Thanks!

I've booted into some bootable ISO images and I can see the USB drive yes.  The issue (I guess) is that I have to run the USB creator or at least the "make bootable" file from a Windows OS.  I'm looking to see whether I can boot into Windows PE perhaps and run it from there.

Failing that I suppose I could try installing Windows 10 directly on the server and do it from there.

7 hours ago, RogerDodger said:

Just by way of an update on how I solved this: I installed Windows 10 directly on the Server via iLO / mounted ISO and once installed I used the USB flash creator which correctly detected the internal flash drive.

I'm now running the trial version of unRAID. So far so good!

Awesome! I was hesitant to coach further, as the possibility of remote bricking and the subsequent blame was not insignificant. I figured if you were savvy enough to get yourself into it, you could get yourself out if needed.

I believe there are a few gotcha's with HP equipment, but as I don't run any I'm not personally familiar. I recommend searching the forums for other people using those HP microservers to get ahead of any possible issues.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

I just stepped into the same boots. :)

The best solution on this one would be an ISO version of Unraid, that could be mounted through iLO remotely, and everything else is straightforward, if you have iLO advanced.
You boot from it, follow the instructions, and you're done.
But unfortunately we have only the zip and the USB creator app on the download section of the site.

I tried creating an ISO version of my usb (created with the USB creator) with ImgBurn. No luck.
Since I have no physical access to the server, this would be easy way.

45 minutes ago, int0ku said:

I just stepped into the same boots. :)

The best solution on this one would be an ISO version of Unraid, that could be mounted through iLO remotely, and everything else is straightforward, if you have iLO advanced.
You boot from it, follow the instructions, and you're done.
But unfortunately we have only the zip and the USB creator app on the download section of the site.

I tried creating an ISO version of my usb (created with the USB creator) with ImgBurn. No luck.
Since I have no physical access to the server, this would be easy way.

Yes, but Unraid uses the flash for licensing and configuration changes. It must be present at all times in the server.

The Unraid USB is not an installation that installs the OS onto internal media, it IS the OS, and it loads into RAM to run each time the server is rebooted.

Yes, I figured it out. I just got an old hpe microserver gen 8 brought back to life on the top of the fridge, lol. (Yea, now I can put the flashdrive in. Actually I created an SD, it's in the internal slot, on the mobo.)
And I figured out a lot of things. Got my unRAID running, and I absolutely love it. :)

Cheers!