Ryzen 2nd Gen still has issues with RAM speeds?

Rig:

Ryzen 7 2700X

Asus Prime X470 Pro

Corsair 32GB 3200MHz RAM

Nvidia RTX 2060 Super

Dell HBA (LSI) in IT mode to give 8 extra SATA ports to the 6.

So recently upgraded a few parts in my rig and now left scratching my head with a few issues... Been messing around bit trying to get a Windows 10 gaming VM working and have failed to notice that parity checks are returning errors each time (even after correcting).

I have been running on D.O.C.P overclock profile as was pissed the 3200Mhz RAM was running a 2133MHz as default, and first few times running parity no issues. Also within the last 2 months have upgraded the parity drive (size) replacing the 8TB WD Red with a 12TB Seagate EXOS.

So something somewhere is not working right.. to give the errors every time the last 6 parity checks.. run a pretty new UPS so not power (unless PSU).

Just turned off D.O.C.P and rerunning parity which will correct errors and then hopefully the next run has none...but just wanted to check if this is still the case on clock speeds as found posts from last year suggesting 2 sticks of RAM shouldn't be running over 2400MHz on Ryzen 2nd gen...

Been building PCs for 15 years and this is the first time I have not been able to run RAM at its rated speed when the motherboard states it supports it so if it is the problem really caught me off guard!

Any advice welecome!

D.

12 hours ago, djglenn said:

should running it at 3200MHz show errors in MEMTEST as mine didn't

Memtest doesn't detect all errors, but it appears to be especially true with Ryzen and OC RAM as the same happened to other users in similar cases, no errors on memtest but always sync errors on every parity check.

Ok, makes sense.

So on the 2nd Parity Check (after the first correcting) and this one seems to have found no errors this far 50% in where as all previous had 2k+ at this stage. Thanks for the help.

Will strongly consider pulling the trigger on a 3rd Gen Ryzen 7 or 9 as struggle to accept to be in the low 2000MHz RAM speeds in 2020....

Will test some games later as this instability @ 3200MHz might help explain some random issues in the windows VM also

Edited by djglenn

Just went through a similar problem. Running a 3990x threadripper w/ DDR4 RAM. RAM is rated to 3200MHz w/ built-in DOCP profile. I would have random hang-ups (sometimes a day or two after boot). The only way I can get this stable is to remove ALL overclocking (no DOCP, no PBO).

• 1 year later...

For anyone interested I originally had

Asus X370 Crosshair VI, Ryzen 2700X, 2 x 16gb 2400 RAM.

Problems started when I went I added 2 more RAM sticks but I did not twig this was the issue at the time.

I upgraded to an X570 board (mainly to try and fix this issue and moved to 2.5gb nic), did not help. Random CPU cache errors and eventual hard crash.

Turned off global c-states, did not help.

Turned power to "typical current idle", did not help.

Changed RAM speed(Memtest stable) from 2400 to 1866, this solved it! 🙄