LSI 9240-8i / 9211-8i Question

Hi all, first post here :) I'm gathering parts for a new Unraid box (coming from a small QNAP, I wanted something a bit more capable). I've picked up a LSI 9240-8i that's been crossflashed to a 9211-8i. I have a few questions:

1. I keep reading that you need direct airflow over these LSI SAS cards, or they will overheat and cause instability and premature death. Is this the consensus here? It'll go in a Silverstone CS381 case, and I don't see any direct air flow over the PCIe x16 slot (where the SAS card will go) with the default 2x 120mm fans. Should I put a 40mm fan over the SAS card's heatsink?

2. The 9211-8i is supposed be 7w, and 9240-8i is 13.5w according to Broadcom's spec sheets. Will the crossflashed 9240-8i have lower power draw?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Phoenix Down
10 hours ago, Phoenix Down said:

. I keep reading that you need direct airflow over these LSI SAS cards, or they will overheat and cause instability and premature death. Is this the consensus here? It'll go in a Silverstone CS381 case, and I don't see any direct air flow over the PCIe x16 slot (where the SAS card will go) with the default 2x 120mm fans. Should I put a 40mm fan over the SAS card's heatsink?

It's better if you have a fan blowing some air directly over the HBA heatsink, but as long as there's good airflow in the case and the HBA isn't sandwiched between other cards you'll be fine.

10 hours ago, Phoenix Down said:

2. The 9211-8i is supposed be 7w, and 9240-8i is 13.5w according to Broadcom's spec sheets. Will the crossflashed 9240-8i have lower power draw?

They both have the same max power draw of 13.5w, normal power draw in use (measured by me) is around 7w.

40 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

It's better if you have a fan blowing some air directly over the HBA heatsink, but as long as there's good airflow in the case and the HBA isn't sandwiched between other cards you'll be fine.

They both have the same max power draw of 13.5w, normal power draw in use (measured by me) is around 7w.

Thanks for confirming the power draw! I appreciate that.

I'm afraid the HBA won't get much airflow around it, as the two 120mm fans really just pull air front the front, across the HD cages, the exhaust out of the back. The PCIe slots are not the path of the airflow:

https://www.phoronix.com/image-viewer.php?id=silverstone-cs381&image=silverstone_cs381_12_lrg

The HBA will be in the innermost x16 slot, and the 10GBe card will be in the outermost x4 slot.

I went ahead and ordered a Noctua 40mmx10mm fan for the HBA's heatsink, just to be safe. I also have the option of adding two more 120mm fans over the side closest to the PCIe slots. But I'm going to wait on that and see what the temps look like first:

https://www.phoronix.com/image-viewer.php?id=silverstone-cs381&image=silverstone_cs381_15_lrg

Edited by Phoenix Down